[Keyboard improvements] Make better use of the Menu key.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 12:48:19 UTC 2011

Considering last nights thread about keyboard use, I thought I'd start a
topic with ideas for keyboard improvements.

This thread is about ideas for improving the utilization of the Menu
key. That's the one on the keyboard between Alt Gr and right ctrl, in
case you had forgotten the entire button. :) It currently has only one
function; to open a context menu within an app. This is very wasteful. I
suggest it be used like this:

* Pressing and releasing menu: same as now. Open apps context menu.
* Shift+menu: replaces F10 and opens the first menu on the focused app's
menubar.
* Menu+F-x: Open the menu for the Nth indicator.
* Menu+num: Open the Nth launcher entry's quicklist.
* Menu+envelope (email)-button: open the envelope (message) menu. That
makes sense, huh?
* Menu+Esc: open the power cog menu.
* Menu+print screen: open the Take Screenshot dialog.

I'm sure there might be other useful shortcuts, like having a shortcut
to system preferences, which after, all can be considered a menu.

What do you think?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad