Proposed desktop-extra set

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 7 23:21:28 UTC 2011

On 7 November 2011 17:59, Iain Lane <laney at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 05:25:22PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

>> > Hey Iain,
>> >
>> > The description would be pretty similar to the desktop set but for the
>> > components which are not in the default installation (or those who are in
>> > universe), it's basically what would we needed on top of what ubuntu-desktop
>> > is maintaining to maintain a rather vanilla GNOME
>>
>> The proposed description from today's meeting was "Every package that
>> is NOT in main, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is
>> defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and
>> gnome-apps http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets"
>>
>> Below is a list of what would be included. I kept vinagre and the mono
>> pieces since those are expected to drop from main soon.
>
> To me, this is almost reasonable except fo the "NOT in main" part. We
> should not be considering components when defining sets — they are
> orthogonal. In this case it would be fine to say "NOT in
> ubuntu-desktop".
>
> If fixed, then we should revisit this in our next meeting; please make
> sure it is on the agenda and that you show up.
>
> We should create the packageset with the state of the archive as it is
> at the time and update it if things change.

There are quite a few components in the GNOME modulelists that are in
main but aren't in the ubuntu-desktop set (polkit, pulseaudio, upower,
etc.). I believe the point of this packageset is for individuals to
join the Desktop Team and contribute to gnome-shell and other parts of
GNOME not on the CDs, without having to join MOTU.

Whether those other components in main should be moved to
ubuntu-desktop is a different topic.

Jeremy