[Desktop12.04-Topic] GNOME Version for the LTS

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 7 15:58:45 UTC 2011

Le 07/11/2011 02:25, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> Another factor is that I believe Debian will be freezing in June which
> should mean that GNOME 3.4 will get in Wheezy.
>
> I think we should come up with a list of what apps we don't want the
> 3.4 versions and why. Perhaps the pad is a good place for that. I
> understand that packaging all the apps in each GNOME milestone takes
> valuable time but as I've already said, personally I'd like to see as
> much of 3.4 as possible in Precise.
>
> Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Being on the same version than Debian could be nice in theory, in
practice they will probably not start on it before we ship (see where
they are for 3.2 at the moment for example), I would argue that we would
be closer from Debian if we stay on 3.2 this cycle so we could work on
the same versions.

You could also argue that having the same version than Debian in a LTS
would mean sharing stable work but in practice Debian do very little bug
fixing work on their stable series (i.e they wouldn't update to a new
minor GNOME serie but rather handle security issues and a few important
bugs).

We should try to document what we update and not though, that's a good
idea, but we had most people in agreement at UDS that we should default
to be conservative and use the free time to fix bugs rather than playing
catching on unstable versions and I think we should stick to that.
(looking to the launchpad bugs opened since Oneiric or the SRU we did
gives an idea of the number of bugs GNOME gets in their stable versions,
we are aiming to better than that for next cycle).

Sebastien Bacher