change mount point of the stick usb drive or USB thumb

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed May 18 14:10:36 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 12:40 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> Le mardi 17 mai 2011 à 18:17 -0500, C de-Avillez a écrit :
>> Now this might very well be something to consider: an user interface
>> that would allow for mounting an attachable storage device under a
>> fantasy name (something like "you have mounted a new storage device:
>> we will automagically name it <whatever>. Do you want to change its
>> name?").
>>
>> This might be a bit more complex than it looks, but there is, I
>> think, a potential casual-user benefit... instead of /media/<HUGE
>> uuid>, something that can, indeed be remembered -- and intuitively
>> understood.
> Rather than annoying many users with a dialog when they plug their
> device in, a change in the Properties dialog of Nautilus for
> user-mounted volumes to allow setting their label would be good. Then,
> the volume will be mounted automatically to /media/LABEL, which is IMHO
> as nice as a path can be.

But this pretty much restricts usage to the not-so-casual user: both
by requiring the user to understand what is this Properties thingy
that needs to be alt-clicked to get to, and by restricting the mount
to /media. By these two points (and mainly the first) we have just
alienated a huge chunk of our intended user base.

This is why I stated it might be a bit more complex. Placement and
naming of user storage should be an user option. Nothing prohibits
direct editing of /etc/fstab  (or alt-click/Properties/Rename). But
these are more technical actions.

Cheers,