change mount point of the stick usb drive or USB thumb

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Tue May 17 23:17:12 UTC 2011

On 05/08/2011 09:25 AM, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello Ricardo,
>
> Ricardo Barbosa [2011-03-10 15:42 -0800]:
>> I'm studying udev and i have a question regarding the mounting of
>> removable devices. When I plug a USB thumb drive into my ubuntu it
>> automatically mounts the flash drive in /media such as
>> /media/KINGSTON. But I wish this would automatically mount in
>> another path, i can change this behavior?
>
> You can set up an /etc/fstab entry with  e. g.
>
>   LABEL=KINGSTON /mymount/point  auto defaults,auto 0 0
>
> Martin

Now this might very well be something to consider: an user interface
that would allow for mounting an attachable storage device under a
fantasy name (something like "you have mounted a new storage device:
we will automagically name it <whatever>. Do you want to change its
name?").

This might be a bit more complex than it looks, but there is, I
think, a potential casual-user benefit... instead of /media/<HUGE
uuid>, something that can, indeed be remembered -- and intuitively
understood.

Cheers,

..C..