Feature Proposal: Enable two finger touchpad scrolling by default

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Mar 17 13:18:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:57:23 -0400, Chase Douglas <chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've received a request to enable two finger scrolling by default in
> Ubuntu. After querying some of our uTouch and X developers, everyone
> seems to be in agreement that this is a good idea. With that, I'd like
> to ask for any comments on the change, positive or negative. If you
> believe two finger scrolling should not be enabled by default it is very
> important that we hear from you!

Does this disable edge-scrolling? (In my experience enabling it via the
mouse preferences does that)

If so my concern would be that I (and so presumably others) have a
laptop with bevels on the touchpad that indicate that edge scrolling is
possible. If it no longer is on Ubuntu then people will have the
impression that Ubuntu no longer works on their hardware (and I'm not
sure knowledge of two-finger scrolling is pervasive enough that all of
these people will know to use that instead.)

Thanks,

James