Call for testing: LightDM

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 9 04:27:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:01 +0200, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> Le mercredi 08 juin 2011 à 01:09 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> > Boiling Matt's post down this is what I'm reading:
> >
> >   1. NIH
> >   2. It doesn't start a GNOME session
> >   3. Doesn't have arbitrary shiny stuff like slidy effects
> >   4. Auto-update when users are created or deleted
> >   5. Accessibility functionality UI
> >   6. Gratuitously drawing a clock
> >   7. Handle power policy via gnome-power-manager rather than via upower
> >
> > #1 yeah but whatever.  #2 seems like a feature unless proven otherwise.
> > #3 who cares.  #4 ok, fair point, seems minor though.  #5 important, but
> > I think already under development.  #6 yeah right.  #7 huh?
> As I see it, the problem is that when you'll have brought back
> accessibility, power and sound management, you'll essentially have
> started a GNOME session or an equivalent, losing a good part of the
> "lightweight". Maybe I'm wrong, though - history will surely tell.

I think there's a fundamental difference between “start a full GNOME
session and blacklist stuff that in inappropriate for a login screen”
and “start the bits of a full GNOME session that a login screen needs”.

GDM apparently chooses the first route, which is why the recent security
advisory where you could start a web-browser from the GDM screen with
GDM's credentials can occur :).