gnome-panel as a fallback

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 6 08:00:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 09:46 +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
> On lun., 2011-06-06 at 02:18 -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> > Hi, I was wondering under which circumstances the GTK3 gnome-panel can
> > be used as a fallback for Unity or GNOME-Shell.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> We are trying to build a coherent environment for ubuntu and GNOME
> upstream experience.
>
> Consequently, the plan (and what's already in oneiric) is:
> * Unity and Unity-2d are installed on the CD, Unity-2d being the
> fallback of Unity. In addition, each one have a separate session in gdm
> (and probably will have in lightdm as well) to start them directly.
>
> Note that this will be the case for finale only if we can have the full
> unity-2d accessibility stack working in time.
>
> * gnome-shell and gnome-panel are available in the repository.
> gnome-panel can be installed separately from gnome-shell and each one
> have as well a separate session in gdm/ligthdm to start them directly.
> gnome-panel is the fallback of gnome-shell. (gnome-shell pulls
> gnome-panel).
>

> > I'd like to know if Unity 2D will also be used for for FailsafeX sessions.
>
> Not sure about that one as different people means different things about
> "FailsafeX" sessions. if it's session without 3D acceleration, right,
> that's what is already the case in oneiric. FailsafeX as "no driver has
> been able to be loaded/X can't start (bulletproof X), that's more a
> question for the Xorg guys :)

My initial thought would be that FailsafeX should use whatever fallback
would be otherwise used; Unity2D if Unity is the user's default, GNOME
classic if Shell is the user's default.

If Unity2D is unacceptably slow or likely to be broken with VESA then
that should be revisited.  IMO FailsafeX should give the user as
comfortable experience as possible for them to try to work out what went
wrong and fix it.  That's likely to be the default fallback session.