"Let's discuss this at the next UDS"

Gunnar Hjalmarsson ubuntu at gunnar.cc
Sat Jul 9 09:26:07 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-07 00:03, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote on 06/07/11 22:21:
>> Since you focus on collaborative documents etc., I think we share the
>> same idea about what it takes to tackle the topic in a proper manner.
>
> Great!

I have thought some more about it, and have a new idea.

It appears that the only thing in this thread there is a clear
disagreement about is the original subject, i.e. the language chooser at
login.

As regards language related bits and pieces, there is a need to refactor
the code. I now think it's desirable that such refactoring is done as
soon as possible, since it probably would make talk about ways to set or
change language settings easier. Please see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-July/003165.html

>> Can't help worrying a little about the time constraints, though. I
>> spent quite some time during the Natty development cycle to help fix a
>> bunch of bugs about language and locale issues. I'd hate to see
>> Oneiric be shipped with similar bugs as those that were recently
>> resolved because the work is rushed unnecessarily.
>
> Fair enough, and thanks for working on those bugs. Do test cases exist
> for checking that your hard work does not regress?

No, but the resulting functionality is documented:
ghelp:language-selector

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj