Language chooser at login

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Jul 7 07:44:53 UTC 2011

On 05/07/11 19:11, Oliver Grawert wrote:

>> Note that this doesn't necessarily have to be implemented in the
>> greeter, i.e. you can run zenity in the guest accounts .profile and that
>> prompts the user on login for language.  Or you can make multiple
>> sessions for each installed language, i.e. there is a single menu for
>> the login settings which has "English", "Japanese", "German" which each
>> load Unity with differing settings.  I expect in these cases you don't
>> want to provide an option to choose session type (Unity/GNOME) anyway.
> that sounds quite hackish, and up to that selection the whole UI would
> be english also i know a good bunch of internet cafes and school setups
> where you can (and people do) select between different desktops, its not
> an uncommon combination ...
One idea we played with was to have a language selector (as an
indicator?) which would set the language of the greeter only.  So when
you logged in it wouldn't change your stored language.  There is so
little text in the greeter we weren't sure if it needed translating.
This language would also be used when creating the guest session.

would it be possible to provide a plugin system for the UI ? so someone
from the community could code some langauge selector that would hook
visually proper into the theme, hand over variables to the greeter etc ?
that way you would not have to do it in the DM code itself nor would
have to maintain it but people could still get the feature.

The Ubuntu greeter won't be pluggable, but you can write a new greeter,
basing it off the Ubuntu one if required.