Language chooser at login

Kevin Huang kevin.huang at canonical.com
Tue Jul 5 05:20:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 07:06 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Marc Deslauriers [2011-07-04 23:29 -0400]:
> > If the administrator can set the default language when creating a new
> > user, it should be fine.
>
> I agree. With that, and the fact that the majority of use cases are
> already covered by the system wide default locale/language, I see
> little reason for putting back the huge complexity of a language
> selector in the login manager again. It took two releases, Perl
> scripts, a lot of shell code in XSession, and many bug fixes to get it
> working in a reasonable manner, and it is still prone to fail.

As long as users have the option to select the language they want at
system initiation and after,  it does not matter whether the feature is
in login manager or in system.  Perhaps, the feature in system is even
convenient than in login manager, because user does not need to
logout/login to make the feature effective after change.

Kevin