Fwd: [Ayatana-dev] Transition in Ayatana stack

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 13 16:41:26 UTC 2011

Just a heads up ....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Subject: [Ayatana-dev] Transition in Ayatana stack
To: Ayatana Dev <ayatana-dev at lists.launchpad.net>

Hello,

Today we're trying to land the GDBus port of the Ayatana stack.  This is
going to result in basically every package being replaced on most
systems.  This is the unfortunately result of a required API change in
dbusmenu and libindicate as it because impractical to keep the parts of
the interface that used GValue.  It has been replaced with GVariant.
Overall, I think everyone will be happier with this, but the transition
has been pretty painful.

To ensure that people don't link against something that they don't
expect the pkgconfig files have been changed to version appropriately.
If you've got checkouts or older builds, they will probably stop
building as soon as you upgrade.  Don't upgrade until you're ready to
merge from trunk.  :)

Again, we're hoping to land it today, but it's tricky landing so don't
hold your breath.

               --Ted