GNOME Shell has been removed from the repositories?

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Sun Feb 20 23:46:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

This was driven by the following issues:
- - We're not delivering the GNOME3 applications in Natty, so we moved
them to a PPA [1].  This was due to us not having the time to do a
good job on both Unity and GNOME3.
- - To have GNOME Shell in Natty would have required a number of
packages to be updated that may have conflicted with GNOME2, so we
decided to put it in the PPA too.  We also thought putting it in the
PPA would make it easier for people to contribute (as you don't need
to be sponsored to upload to it).

If GNOME Shell works in the PPA AND all the dependencies do not
conflict with GNOME2 then it could be uploaded to Natty Universe, but
at the moment this seems unlikely.  If it depends on any GNOME3
applications (e.g. GNOME control center) then it will have to remain
in the PPA.  I think the most likely situation is it will be in
Natty+1 and Natty users will be able to use it using the PPA.

Note that we need more help keeping the PPA up to date, so anyone who
is interested do merge proposals into
lp:~gnome3-team/package_name/ubuntu and/or jump onto #ubuntu-desktop!

- --Robert

[1] https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3