Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Piotr Drozdek pioruns at o2.pl
Wed Feb 2 02:54:28 UTC 2011

Dnia 2011-01-31, pon o godzinie 21:11 +0200, Otto Kekäläinen pisze:
> I'm in favor of removing hibernate for the reasons Rick expressed.
>
> ma, 2011-01-31 kello 11:04 -0800, Rick Spencer kirjoitti:
> > However, Hibernate works well for some users, so this will be a
> > painful
> > regression[1].
>
> Hibernate works well on my computer, however the speed of starting from
> zero, loading grub, loading kernel, loading saved memory state and
> showing the desktop etc (the hibernate does) is almost the exactly same
> as doing a normal startup, so the hibernate mode is quite useless.
>
> The work done on upstart and other boot time improvements has made
> hibernate obsolete. Thanks!

I'm using hibernation on my 2 machines and it works fine. On one of
them, restoring from hibernation is even *slower* than clean boot (lots
of RAM).
But - nobody can measure my time of opening all my applications again,
with specific ones, which cannot be saved to restore as it was.
That's why i'm using hibernation: I don't need to care about all my
documents, games, web pages, terminal sessions. If I will loose that
long login session with weeks of uptime, I will be really confused. I
can't imagine at the moment to work totally without saving my session
using hibernation.
Regards

--
Piotr Drozdek <pioruns at o2.pl>