Ubuntu usability is significantly decreased with Unity

Alexander rhettnaxel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:35:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net> wrote:

> On 28 December 2011 17:55, Nenad <nenad_lecek at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I do not see where to choose Gnome Panel. Again, I'm using Ubuntu 11.10.
> If
> > I could remove Unity from my desktop and put Gnome panel instead fine
> with
> > me. But, because is far from obvious where&how to do it, you have my
> > comments.
>
> You can install gnome-panel from either Software Center, Synaptic, or
> apt-get. Then on the login screen, click the gear button next to your
> name and choose GNOME Classic. You might be a bit disappointed as
> Ubuntu's nice indicator status menus weren't ported to gnome-panel for
> Ubuntu 11.10 but they will be available in 12.04. By the way, you need
> to hold down the Alt key (or if Compiz is running: Alt and the Windows
> key) to customize gnome-panel 3's applets.
>
> I don't recommend attempting to remove Unity.
>
> > I have impression that the Unity is mandatory, simply because I cannot
> find
> > a way to switch back to Gnome Panel. So, if Gnome Panel is available in
> > Ubuntu 11.10 and Unity is not mandatory, fine. And again, Unity was
> selected
> > as a default option - bad choice, the user should have easier way to
> switch
> > between Unity and Gnome Panel.
>
> In my limited experience, people new to Linux don't have a problem
> with Unity especially if someone shows them how to use it. In fact, I
> think it's a better experience for this user group than the classic
> GNOME desktop. For a variety of reasons, Ubuntu will not provide
> multiple desktops by default (basically for the same reasons Ubuntu
> doesn't provide multiple web browsers or photo editors). However, a
> variety of desktop interfaces and applications are available for easy
> install in the Software Center.
>
> Jeremy

This thread is disappointing. There are some complaints about Ubuntu and a
lack of userability etc. If you don't like something about Ubuntu, change
it. Learn how to work with your Unix-like system. The mailing list doesn't
need to be filled with complaints providing no help or useful information.
If you like it, great! Get involved and make a difference. If you don't
like it, great! Get involved and understand how the distribution is
organized. Alternatively, you can leave and go to something else. Enough
complaining, it's not helpful.
Alexander