Nux and Unity (with Unity Core) now respectively reaches 2.0 and 5.0!

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 6 12:03:53 UTC 2011

Hey guys,
(Sorry for the cross-posting, but I think this will interest people on
both lists)

Just a quick note that now the version are bumped in trunk. The
autolanding system I previously presented
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-November/003492.html)
built them both and the packages are available right now building in the
unity-team staging ppa
https://launchpad.net/~unity-team/+archive/staging (and will be moved
later on the ppa once autopilot bits are plugged in). Juts to be clear:
this is just an internal bump, this is *not* a release. :)

Also, we changed with Jay the way Nux and the packaging handle its ABI.
Nux, being under heavy development, doesn't bump the ABI at each ABI
break as there are regularly breakage. As right now, we just have two
consumers (unity and unity-2d), we can have a graceful way to handle it.
The idea I discussed with Jay was to steal what compiz does.
Consequently, right now, Nux defines an ABI date in configure.ac
(m4_define([nux_abi_version], [20111205])), that we pick up in the
packaging to provide a virtual package containing the abi_version
string. Then, once unity is built, we pick this version and makes unity
depending on it.

We don't have a dependency issue as the autolanding system merges every
nux branches before starting to build the unity ones (the other
components though, are merged in and built in parallel, we just depend
the merge order on package dependencies, like libunity, dee), and so,
same in the ppa.

In a nutshell, if you need to break the Nux ABI, just bump the
nux_abi_version value in configure.ac to the current date and all the
rest will be taken in charge for you. :)
Cheers,
Didier