[Oneiric-Topic] Default Browser

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Mon Apr 18 16:51:32 UTC 2011

Le lundi 18 avril 2011 à 15:05 +0100, Chris Coulson a écrit :
> I see a lot of people are recommending Epiphany. I've used this before,
> but it's never been my default browser. I used it again today, for the
> first time in a year or so. Here's a brief summary of some of the things
> I noticed:
>
> - Text rendering is pretty bad. For some reason, text appears to be tiny
> in Epiphany compared with any other browser (or any other application on
> my desktop for that matter). This is easily visible by comparing
> something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news side-by-side in Firefox and
> Epiphany.
>
> - It has a very wasteful statusbar by default. Ok, I know you can turn
> this off - but when I did this and then hovered over some links on the
> page, I got a tiny overlay in the bottom-left hand corner displaying the
> destination URL in the same barely-readable font that the rest of the
> page is in (I had to squint so I could read it). These font sizes don't
> seem to match anything else on my system.
I'm not arguing Ubuntu should use Epiphany by default at all, but for a
fair comparison you should really use 3.0 instead of the one-year-old
2.30 which is still shipped in Natty. There have been many changes in
the UI and in WebKit. Notably, the status bar is gone. Here's a
screenshot from Wikipedia (agreed, you don't see much):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Epiphany3.0.png

Cheers