Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Apr 15 05:48:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:00:31AM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> *   8/10 people could find a window's menus, but 7/8 of them learned to
> *   Only 4/11 worked out how to change the background picture.
> *   6/10 could easily find and launch a game that wasn't in the
> *   Only 1/9 (P4) easily added that game to the launcher.
> *   9/11 people could easily close a window.
> *   8/9 easily copied text from one document into another.
> *   Only 5/10 could easily delete a document

These seven items in particular seem like really basic tasks that ought
to be testing at >90%, so these stats seem a lot lower than I'd expect.

I'm curious whether these stats are higher/lower/same-as with Classic
Desktop.  IOW this needs a control group so we can tell if the new
design brings improvement or regression.

Also, these tests measure usability, but not their overall impression.
Did they like it?  Find it frustrating/confusing?

Bryce