[Oneiric-Topic] LightDM for display management

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Wed Apr 13 00:26:48 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 07:30 PM, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011, Robert Ancell wrote:
>> - Speed improvements - we can run a greeter without running a full GNOME
>> session
>  Running a "full" GNOME session sounds like a waste, but it kind of
>  makes sense to run a mini-session to start the essential GNOME services
>  and reuse GNOME infrastructure as much as possible.  Screen readers
>  came up, but there is also:
>  - networking -- you might need it for login
>  - suspend/resume support -- you might want to close the lid just after
>    you booted, but before you entered you logged in
>  - shutting down the screen and/or computer if nobody logs in for a
>    while
>  - sound -- you might want to mute / lower the volume to prevent any
>    specific login sound from popping up
>  - keyboard configuration -- to type your password in the right layout
>    when you have multiple layout configured
>  - screensaver?  I don't care about that one, maybe some do
>
>  There is also a case to be made for starting dconf to store the
>  settings of the session so that LDM would reuse GNOME infrastructure
>  for settings.

Sure, there are definitely a number of required services.  Note I'm not
ruling out running a GNOME session, it just depends if you can have a
cut down enough session to make it work.  The services you require in a
login screen (basically power management, networking, audio) really are
all system services - I hope that GNOME is working towards taking these
things out of the session in the future.