[Oneiric-Topic] Default Browser

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 19:55:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Since now both Firefox and Chromium have committed to rapid release
> schedules, I think it's time to reevaluate the default browser in
> Ubuntu.  I am concerned that some of these upgrades might break system
> integration at some point.

One nice thing with Chromium and Epiphany is they store passwords
using the native keyring daemon. (Epiphany always has, Chromium
recently has and it should be enabled by default at this point). That
is, passwords are properly encrypted at no cost to the user. As we
move towards enabling third party apps through Software Centre, it is
worth exploring ways we can improve personal security with features
such as that. This, of course, demands considerable integration work
in the default web browser ;)

Dylan