[Oneiric-Topic] Default Browser

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 8 06:40:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 17:27 -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:

> Please note, I was suggesting not having Firefox or Chromium as the
> default, but a webkit based browser with a normal release cycle like
> Epiphany (which uses webkitgtk :)).

If I'v understood that right, what you are suggesting is we use
Epiphany(or similar) as the default and give an option to install FF or
Chromium?

IMO, not a great choice, that is adding an extra step in the install
process. If their rapid release is the problem, we could probably look
into just releasing at our own possible pace. We should look at setting
what our release schedule could be and if we are short of testers we
should try to increase that.

Firefox and Chrome(not Chromium) have a lot of popularity, and if we are
going to replace with a practically-no-name browser we loose one of our
Ubuntu "marketing" points.
Being able to tell new users that they have Firefox readily available is
a huge plus. If we use Chromium it is a little bit of a hassle.
Explaining Chromium is like convincing that a Radoo watch looks as good
as the Rado one(yea, a bit unfair comparison). For this reason Firefox
still trumps Chromium as a default choice, and FF4 is pretty good. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Vish