[Oneiric-Topic] Firefox translations in Launchpad/Language packs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 14:57:26 UTC 2011

Chris Coulson [2011-04-07  9:25 +0100]:
> - Firstly, I think we should kill po2xpi entirely. It's basically
> doing what the Firefox build system is already very good at doing
> (building xpi's from source). We should be using the Firefox build
> system to build the language pack xpi's that we ship. This resolves
> point 2 and 3.

I agree, po2xpi is a pain to maintain, too.

> - This means that Firefox will output xpi's for every language in the
> future (not just for en-US). We either need to package these in to
> dedicated language packs for Firefox (e.g., firefox-locale-foo)

I. e. build separate binaries from the firefox source? This would
certainly work and make the process a lot easier, too. We can then
integrate it into the existing language-selector framework.

> Launchpad will need to import all xpi's and then make them available
> to langpack-o-matic to build the language packs.

We already have a mechanism for that fortunately, we call these
"static translation tarballs". It's the same as we currently use for
translated GNOME help. So if want the XPIs in language-pack-* itself,
this would be an efficient way to do this.

> - I would still like to be able to use Launchpad to do Firefox
> translations.

That would be great, but I can't comment on the implementation.

> - Note that searchplugins are shipped independently of the xpi's. If
> we are going to be shipping Firefox translations with our language
> packs (as we do currently), this would mean Launchpad would need a
> mechanism for importing and exporting the searchplugins alongside the
> xpi's too.

As they are so small, wouldn't it be much easier to just ship them all
in the firefox.deb, as they come from upstream anyway?

Thanks,

Martin