[Oneiric-Topic] GTK3/GNOME3

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 13:10:18 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 07 avril 2011 à 17:00 +0530, Vishnoo a écrit :
> Is Getting GNOME3 really worth it? GTK3 maybe for the parts which are
> required for Unity..

Yes, we need to move away from old unmaintained and deprecated
technology for their modern equivalent (gtk2 to gtk3, gconf to dconf,
dbus-glib to gdbus) and the easier way to do that is to update to
GNOME3. But as you said we need to check that we don't break on the way
what we consider important to our users, that's what I mentioned in the
other emails on that list, we should make a list of things that GNOME3
is deprecating and that we think should still be available for Ubuntu
users and find a way to bring those back either by working on upstream
to add them back or by finding equivalents or writing new code.

--
Sebastien Bacher