[Oneiric-Topic] Integrate unity-2d/Qt / install media space

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 08:06:54 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I hear that next cycle we will probably be required to ship unity-2d,
and with it Qt.  This means we'll need yet another round of "where to
get the space from?".

Next cycle we'll drop Python 2.6, but at the same time add Python 3,
so the python-* library packages won't shrink. In the contrary, we'll
have to ship python3 itself in addition. I don't think we'll manage to
port everything to Python 3 next cycle, so we'll have to keep both.

The only thing I still know of which people won't immediately miss is
Perl, but removing it will mean to remove AppArmor and shiny debconf
dialogs in software-center/synaptics. Aside from that we pretty much
exhausted package content optimization.

In the last years we fell victim to an ever-growing set of language
runtimes and toolkits, but I realize that getting rid of each of them
is hard. So if we want to keep adding new features without removing
others, we might also eventually reconsider moving to 1 GB USB images
and entirely stop shipping CD images (on mirrors/shop/Loco
distribution, etc.) This would be something I would hate to do, but it
seems reality is against our original design goals :-)

Martin