Featured Apps for Maverick

Sense Hofstede sense at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 8 18:07:19 BST 2010

On 7 September 2010 23:33, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I made the mistake of asking "What's up with featured apps for
> Maverick?" today. Ends up, no updates planned, so I got conned into
> doing it. Here's the list for Maverick:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Maverick/FeaturedApps
>
> Please refer to the list of applications from last time (linked on the
> wiki page) so we don't go through the same process if something is a
> duplicate of existing functionality, mpt the original spec mentions
> that we shouldn't go over 22 applications because we only have 4
> "pages" in "Featured". Does the software-center scale up in this
> regard? Or is it a design feature to not have too many apps in there?
>
> Also, we need to figure out if we want to swap out games, etc. every
> cycle, or just add more each cycle? I think it would be cool to add
> fresh new apps and games every cycle, but at the same time we want to
> keep awesome apps like inkscape/gimp up there. Thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Jorge Castro
> Canonical Ltd.
> http://twitter.com/castrojo
> Need help with Ubuntu? Ask the experts at http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com

Got only one thing for the current list I can think of: Moovida is
still listed as a Feature Application, but recently the developers
decided to continue to build their core on Banshee, but sell the extra
bits as a closed application. I'm not even sure if future versions
will support Linux at all. Not something we should recommend our
users, since they will lose support in the future.

I'm in favour of swapping applications, but if a game is really good
it should stay. The best should stay, lesser known games could be
swapped.

Last time I suggested to add 'Battle for Wesnoth' to the list, but it
wasn't added because -- if I recall the arguments correctly -- because
it would be to much focussed on a niche. I do think that this is
something that might interest everyone. At the very least it shows
there really are some great free games available for Linux. Maybe
worth adding to the list this time?

Regards,
--
Sense Hofstede