WebM in Maverick?

Shane Fagan shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com
Thu May 20 10:55:18 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 09:20 +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 01:21 +0100, Shane Fagan wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Can we include WebM the new codec from Google in Maverick? I presume
> > there would be lots of interest coming for this and integration in the
> > desktop and the browser would be great. The Firefox, Chromium and
> > gstreamer (ffmpeg) trunks have landed with code by now. The main benefit
> > from including this would be Youtube without flash. I really hope we can
> > land it as soon as we can.
>
> FWIW, packages for lucid are here:
> https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=lucid
>
> These are/will be uploaded to Debian soonish too (libvpx is waiting in
> Debian's NEW queue).

Oh sorry for posting twice I closed evolution halfway through sending
it :)
What I meant was can we ship it in the default codec pack with theora,
FLAC, vorbis...etc? It seems Google picked a BSD style licence for the
spec http://webmproject.org/license/software/
Its still in heavy development but I would like if we can get it in
Maverick as soon as soon as it hits the Debian repo.

--fagan