Review of featured applications

Ted Gould ted at canonical.com
Mon Mar 1 15:03:21 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 18:04 +1100, Robert Ancell wrote:

> I also wanted to pick one FPS but they all seemed difficult to use.
> The problems seemed to be similar:
>       * Huge downloads
>       * Opening and choosing first menu (e.g. "single player") often
>         didn't work, there were no bots
>       * Very slow load times

Maybe I'm showing my age, but when I was a kid bzflag was cool.... we
used to play it on the SGIs...  it doesn't have bots but there is
generally always someone on a bzflag server somewhere.

Looking through the rest of the list, it makes me feel like we need some
other category than just featured.  We need a way to raise the bar of
some apps here that are really good, and that we want people to find,
but yet aren't really reasonable for the majority users.

Heh, I'm probably requesting the next version of software center.

        --Ted