Beautiful stupidity?

Vishnoo drkvi-a at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 06:04:53 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 22:54 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote on 06/03/10 16:14:
> > In my opinion, this is the worst design change since the decision to
> > hide incoming IMs and phone calls from the user, and instead just
> > subtly changing the color of a small icon.
>
> I know this is a tangent, but: That wasn't an Ubuntu decision, it was a
> series of unfortunate individual decisions. The Ubuntu position was, and
> is, that a notification area item is not enough to advertise an incoming
> IM or phone call, and that clients should open chat windows in the
> background (and phone call windows in the foreground). The Empathy
> developers disagreed, and continued relying on the notification area
> item. Moving Empathy into the messaging menu just made things slightly
> worse. And then the Human icon theme changes that arrived late in Karmic
> made things slightly worse again. It was different people doing each of
> these things.

There is no point in trying to shunt the blame to the icon theme , when
the icon changes were infact directed by the design team ;)
There is also a comment[by design team] on a bug report mentioning the
new-mail icon is good as-is and it is meant to be un-intrusive .

Several icons were changed since the design team wanted minor
improvements , why wasnt this mentioned?

Now that it was fixed[in Humanity] for Lucid , the design team _again_
has a new icon far worse than what was earlier.
Again not an Ubuntu decision? Now where is the decision being done?  Are
we late for Lucid too? ;)

Let's get this fixed for Lucid atleast , without pointing fingers :)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-mono/+bug/532364

--
Cheers,
Vish