Alpha 3 testing report

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 2 13:40:15 GMT 2010

Le mardi 02 mars 2010 à 14:01 +0200, Otto Kekäläinen a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I know I should probably file bugs for these issues I found, but they
> seem rather obvious, so I'd like to check first if it's something that
> everybody encounters?

Hi,

Thank you for the testing and feedback there

> launching the Desktop Cd.. This dialog should shown at all when
> running a live CD and certainly not should the live CD "detect itself".

Never noticed this one there, could you open a bug on update-notifier if
you can reproduce the issue and there is no bug open about it yet?

> - The installer has a button "Update the installer". When I press it
> while there is no network connection, it shows some dialog running
> some update, but after that nothing happends and the button just goes
> grey. I'd expect it to complain about not beeing able to connect to
> the repo servers.

The issue is probably an ubiquity one, could you open a bug if there is
none opened about that yet?

> - After I press "Next" on the last screen of the installer (where it
> shows a listing about what it's about to do) the installer windows
> just disappears and nothing happends. It does not leave any processes
> running and it didn't install anything. Tested this again today and
> the problem is still there.

Did you try with today's image or again with the alpha3 one? There was a
crasher which looks similar to what you describe which has been fixed in
lucid yesterday (so today's daily should work correctly).

> with a cursor blinking. Going to a command line console with
> Alt+Ctrl+F1 and back to X with F7 unravels the desktop, where
> everything seems fine (I've enabled autologin).

That's a known plymouth issue

> - While using Lucid, many apps just plain crash and bring up the
> automatic crash reportin tool. Are all the apps I've tried buggy or is
> there some background mechanism that crashes a lot of stuff?

Not easy to say without seeing the stacktrace, open the bugs if you want
to be sure about those

> - On one computer the sound volume icon is grey (muted) even though
> the sound works fine and I can increase/decrease the volume with
> hardware keys and there is correct on screen feedback. On another
> computer I tried the sound volume icon works correctly.

Do the mixer dialog works correctly? You can open a bug on
indicator-sound about the applet issue

> - Playing DVD's is difficult.

That's a known standing issue...

> - The live CD seems to have both The Disk utility and GParted. The
> former alone would be enough.

The installer might be using the second one, it would be worth checking
with the ubiquity team for this one