Alpha 3 testing report

Otto Kekäläinen otto at sange.fi
Tue Mar 2 12:01:07 GMT 2010

Hello,

I know I should probably file bugs for these issues I found, but they
seem rather obvious, so I'd like to check first if it's something that
everybody encounters?

Testing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Alpha 3:
- After booting the Desktop CD, a dialog with "A volume with softeware
packages has been detected" comes up. Not very welcoming to a new user
launching the Desktop Cd.. This dialog should shown at all when
running a live CD and certainly not should the live CD "detect itself".

- The installer has a button "Update the installer". When I press it
while there is no network connection, it shows some dialog running
some update, but after that nothing happends and the button just goes
grey. I'd expect it to complain about not beeing able to connect to
the repo servers.

- After I press "Next" on the last screen of the installer (where it
shows a listing about what it's about to do) the installer windows
just disappears and nothing happends. It does not leave any processes
running and it didn't install anything. Tested this again today and
the problem is still there.

(I finally installed Lucid with the alternative disc text-mode installer.)

- After an update yesterday the boot process ends up in a black screen
with a cursor blinking. Going to a command line console with
Alt+Ctrl+F1 and back to X with F7 unravels the desktop, where
everything seems fine (I've enabled autologin).

- While using Lucid, many apps just plain crash and bring up the
automatic crash reportin tool. Are all the apps I've tried buggy or is
there some background mechanism that crashes a lot of stuff?

- On one computer the sound volume icon is grey (muted) even though
the sound works fine and I can increase/decrease the volume with
hardware keys and there is correct on screen feedback. On another
computer I tried the sound volume icon works correctly.

- Playing DVD's is difficult. Totem correctly notifies that it's
missing a the DSS-library then I insert a DVD, but it does not how to
install it. Opening the help central from the blue question mark icon
and setting "DVD" as the search term does not show anything relevant.
Only expert user like me know how to install libdvdnav and then run
the command line to install libdvdcss. Even after that Totem complains
about a missing mpeg demuxer, but it does not suggest to install the
missing codec. Again only an expert user like me understands to
install some gstreamer codecs from Synaptic/apt-get.

- The live CD seems to have both The Disk utility and GParted. The
former alone would be enough.

--
Otto Kekäläinen
www.sange.fi