Lucid changes to Firefox default search provider

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:03:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:00, Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:46, Rick Spencer <rick.spencer at canonical.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 20:17 -0200, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
>>

>> > Given the sensitivity of this change for many people, I would ask you
>> > to consider keeping the current setting whatever it is (Google or
>> > not). People tend to be very passionate about such issues. Also, keep
>> > in mind that for many people, Google (still) is the official partner
>> > of the Mozilla Foundation. For those folks it MAY seem that Canonical
>> > is cutting Mozilla's revenue. While I am sure that this was not the
>> > intention, this is the way things are. I think Canonical should do a
>> > better effort to coordinate the communication of this change with the
>> > community to avoid bad rep.
>> >
>> Well, in terms of not changing to the new default, that would be a bit
>> of a departure for how Ubuntu handles changes to defaults, and I'm not
>> certain why this particular change would be special cased.
>>

> Let's say that for some people, choosing the search provider is a kind of
> political statement. For some it's Google ("don't be evil"), for others is
> something else (because Google *is* evil in their opinion or whatever). I
> may be a little over the edge with my concern though. Let's see what other
> folks say.

Oops. Forgot to say that this change isn't being done for technical,
security or aesthethical reasons; it's being done for marketing reasons. By
changing the default (of a existing & running instalation) you are asking
your users to accept whatever deal Canonical has made. Even if for me it
doesn't make any difference, I think this is a strong enough reason to
proceed with care.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos