Lucid changes to Firefox default search provider

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 22:17:54 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 19:08, Rick Spencer <rick.spencer at canonical.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 15:14 -0500, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>
> > Since Google is the current default, will the switch to Yahoo only
> > have an effect on new installs?
> No, this will effect upgrades if the computer is currently set to
> Google. This is not because of anything special for this particular
> change. This is because Ubuntu always changes to new defaults for users
> who are on old defaults.
>
> However, if you are set to wikipedia as your search provider (for
> example) then that means that you are no longer using the default, so
> Ubuntu won't change you to the new default.

Given the sensitivity of this change for many people, I would ask you to
consider keeping the current setting whatever it is (Google or not). People
tend to be very passionate about such issues. Also, keep in mind that for
many people, Google (still) is the official partner of the Mozilla
Foundation. For those folks it MAY seem that Canonical is cutting Mozilla's
revenue. While I am sure that this was not the intention, this is the way
things are. I think Canonical should do a better effort to coordinate the
communication of this change with the community to avoid bad rep.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com