Desktop annoyances #1: gray display, extremely slow web

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Fri Feb 5 15:42:48 GMT 2010

  I'll start by identifying my primary suspect for the source of the
problem: I have "only" 256MiB of real memory (slightly less than 2GiB
virtual).  Remember what Bill Gates once said -- "no one will ever need
more than 65 K of memory."  The installation notes say this is the bare
minimum to do the install, but that the system should function
satisfactorily  once installed.

My wife experiences this far more than I do, even though I can't
identify any reason her account should be different from mine.  When she
is browsing (usually Galeon, sometimes Firefox) the color bleaches out
of the display, leaving everything in shades of gray.  During this
condition, the UI becomes unresponsive.  My suspicion is that the system
is thrashing pages at these times, so the screen is not correctly
refreshed.  This also happens within OpenOffice.org.

Possibly directly related: complex web pages just CRAWL!  Her favorite
site, one that demonstrates the painful experience, is
<http://www.susanboylefanclubusa.com>.  RSN, I plan to point out to the
webmaster there that the page would be more pleasant to load if the
default <index.html>  just pointed out to various articles.  But that is
opposed to the trend in web pages, so I just sound like the dinosaur I am.

--
David A. Cobb -- computing t-rex