OneConf and Software Center

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 22 12:55:47 BST 2010

Le jeudi 22 avril 2010 à 13:44 +0200, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 22:25 -0400, Jason J. Herne wrote:
> > Hi didrocks,
> >
> > Thanks for working with me to develop a good overview for OneConf
> > (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneConf) and for considering my design ideas.
> > If I understand correctly you are the desktop team member who will be
> > leading the OneConf effort?  I'm excited about this idea and I'm eager
> > to help design and code it as much as I can.
> >
> yes, sounds great, and in line with my plans for GNOME 3.0, if time
> permits, which is to write a dconf (gconf replacement) backend based on
> Desktopcouch, which would synchronize the settings database to all
> computers the user registers with Ubuntu One.

I'm not sure to synchronized _all_ data TBH. We should filter thing and
only take relevant one (for instance, nothing say that you want the same
theme in your netbook and laptop, neither that you want the same
plugin/configuration everyone). But for a subset I agree that can be
relevant.

> >From the wiki page, I understand there might be cases where users don't
> want settings for a specific app to be synchronized between computers
> (not sure I'd want that, since I have the same settings in all my
> computers, but I understand others would want to), but in the list of
> apps in that wiki page, do you plan to go over each app and make their
> settings sync? What about other apps the user wants but are not in the
> list? That's why I think a desktopcouch-based dconf backend might be
> better, since *all* settings would be replicated, and there won't be any
> need to have a list of "supported apps".
>
> Of course, some thought might be needed for not syncing specific
> settings, if it's really something users need.

See what I told above. We should offer syncing everything but by
default, filters them :)
Not all major apps store something in gconf (and so, will in dconf).
Just speaking about chromium, firefox… So, we should do a desktopcouch
integration for them to get the ubuntu one replication for free :)

Didier