Desktop Team 20090908 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Wed Sep 9 00:42:45 BST 2009

Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find
them and the irc log here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2009-09-08

= Meeting Minutes =
== Present ==
=== Main Meeting ===
 * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Chris Cheney (calc)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
 * Alberto Milone (tseliot)

=== Eastern Edition ===
 * Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)
 * Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)

== Apologies ==
 * Tony Espy (awe)
 * Alexander Sack (asac)
 * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Ken VanDine (kenvandine)

=== Discussion ===
 * Updating apps for message menu
 * pidgin versus empathy in Karmic

=== Status Updates ===
 * Release Bugs/Release Status
 * Review activity reports

=== Any other business ===

== Actions from this meeting ==
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to disuss piddin/empathy with seb128 and pitti
and make call for Karmic
 * ACTION: all to review release targeted bugs and fix the milestoned
ones
 * ACTION: pitti to try to repro x freeze and log bug

== Partner Update ==
 * no update as kenvandine is away today

=== Discussion ===
==== Modifying apps to work with Messaging Menu ====
 *
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/indicator-messages/+milestone/ubuntu-9.10-beta-freeze
 * rickspencer3 asks that anyone who has knowledge about these apps,
please help out by assigning to themselves

==== pidgin versus empathy ====
The current Plan of Record is to install Empathy with Karmic, but to
leave Pidgin in place if the user is upgrading. Pidgin won't be
installed on new installs.

We've received feedback about this plan. Discussed at length. Pros and
cons summarized below. rickspencer3 will meet with seb128 and pitti to
make the final determination.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to disuss piddin/empathy with seb128 and pitti
and make call for Karmic

|| || '''Pro''' || '''Con''' ||
|| '''Empathy''' || Tracks Gnome Schedule<<BR>>Comes with
Telepathy<<BR>>Change before LTS || Still Crashing<<BR>>No OTR
support<<BR>> Still pending migration issues (logs not migrated, some
bugs, some features not available in empathy)<<BR>>Orca is not yet
modified to work easily with Empathy ||
|| '''Pidgin''' || Well tested<<BR>>Decent IRC client || Revert would
happen after feature freeze ||

==== Release Bugs ====
|| '''Id''' || '''Title''' || '''Assigned To''' || '''Status''' ||
'''Importance''' || '''Package''' || '''Release''' || '''Milestone''' ||
'''Team''' || '''Date Confirmed''' || '''Tags''' ||
|| 403581 || restart required notification and button not shown in ffox
3.5 || asac || Triaged || High || ubufox (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||
ubuntu-9.10-beta ||  || 2009-07-23 15:38:59.556529+00:00 ||  ||
|| 422930 || after upgrade, CUPS refuses to use existing PSC-750 'usb'
config and creates a new PSC-750-2 'hp' config || pitti || Incomplete ||
High || cups (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||  ||  || None || amd64
apport-bug regression-potential ||
|| 402175 || gtk_tree_view_column_get_cell_renderers implicitly
converted to pointer || seb128 || Triaged || High || gnumeric (Ubuntu
Karmic) || karmic || karmic-alpha-6 ||  || 2009-07-22 04:48:59.782188
+00:00 ||  ||
|| 388898 || [MIR] empathy dependencies || ken-vandine || Incomplete ||
High || gupnp-igd (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||  ||  || None ||  ||
|| 388898 || [MIR] empathy dependencies || ken-vandine || Incomplete ||
High || telepathy-butterfly (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||  ||  || None ||
|| 417009 || all openoffice apps die in
'com::sun::star::ucb::InteractiveAugmentedIOException' on armel in
karmic || ccheney || Confirmed || High || openoffice.org (Ubuntu Karmic)
|| karmic || karmic-alpha-6 ||  || 2009-08-28 14:57:20.855069+00:00 ||
apport-bug armel ||
|| 422829 || mozilla-nss.pc is broken || asac || Fix Committed || High
|| xulrunner-1.9.1 (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic || ubuntu-9.10-beta ||  ||
2009-09-01 20:35:44.111120+00:00 ||  ||
|| 425793 || No AppArmor restrictions in Karmic || pitti || Triaged ||
High || gdm-guest-session (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic || ubuntu-9.10-beta
||  || 2009-09-07 16:17:49.848292+00:00 || regression-potential ||
|| 400485 || Empathy sounds not in default ubuntu theme || seb128 ||
Confirmed || Low || ubuntu-sounds (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||  ||  ||
2009-07-17 15:39:17.308185+00:00 ||  ||
|| 135548 || Action on critical battery isn't triggered || pitti ||
Triaged || Medium || gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic ||
||  || 2009-07-23 17:50:59.744334+00:00 || data-loss qa-hardy-desktop
qa-jaunty-desktop ||
|| 412601 || [MIR] indicator-session || ken-vandine || Incomplete ||
Undecided || indicator-session (Ubuntu Karmic) || karmic || ubuntu-9.10
||  || None ||  ||
 * ACTION: all to review release targeted bugs and fix the milestoned
ones
 * pitti also reports that he is experiencing a gpu lock up hours after
a suspend.
 * To date, there have been no actionable bug reports of this issue with
complete debug info.
 * ACTION: pitti to try to repro x freeze and log bug

==== Work Items ====
{{http://piware.de/workitems/desktop/karmic/burndown.png}}
== Activity reports ==

=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
 * Upstream several recent regressions on -intel
 * Follow up on a bunch of recently upstreamed bug reports
 * Receive test version of -fglrx.  Install and test it on several
   different hardware combos.  Identify bugs fixed in this release.
 * Receive final version of -fglrx.  Upload to Karmic.
 * Report bugs in launchpadlib regarding file attachments
 * Catch Alberto up to speed to prepare for paternity leave
 * Update email system to route to a WORK folder.
 * Troubleshoot boot issue on desktop.  Replace power supply.
   Motherboard seems funky too; probably need to replace system
   entirely.
 * Organize wiring for KVM, switch, and 4 computers
 * Holiday Monday Sept 7th

=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
 * OEM work
 * Uploaded openoffice.org 1:3.1.1-1ubuntu1 for karmic and jaunty ppa.
 * Uploaded openoffice.org-l10n 1:3.1.1-1ubuntu1 for karmic and jaunty
ppa.
 * Investigating bug 417009
 * OOo bug triage

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===

=== Luke Yelavich (TheMuso) ===
=== Accessibility ===
 * Fixed speech-dispatcher's audio fallback logic, as well as how it
identifies whether pulseaudio is available.
 * Uploaded gnome-orca, mousetweaks, and gok version 2.27.92 to karmic.
 * Uploaded at-spi version 1.27.92 to karmic.
 * Patched orca to use speech-dispatcher by default.
 * Some live CD accessibility testing. Once my speech-dispatcher orca
patch is on the live CD, more thorough testing can begin.

=== Audio ===
 * Audio bug triaging, bugs in question are against pulseaudio, alsa
userspace, and the kernel for hardware enablement.
 * Uploaded a new snapshot of pulseaudio to karmic, version 0.9.16~test7
plus some extra git commits. This will likely fix a lot of crashers that
users are seeing.
 * Started fixing paprefs to either not offer install buttons for
installing packages via packagekit, or using apt/synaptic. The synaptic
approach would take some work, so for now, I hav disabled the install
buttons from showing in any case. This package is universe, so if a MOTU
wants to fix this properly, they are welcome.
 * Uploaded more alsa-lib related fixes, and some patch reversions,
thanks to Daniel Chen.

=== Misc ===
 * A little sponsoring, some GNOME updates, and some audio bug fixes,
thanks to all contributors who did the work.

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===
Karmic feature work:
 * desktop-karmic-automagic-python-build-system:
  * beta available
  * just the upstream discussion is missing (which isn't bound by
release cycle)
 * desktop-karmic-symptom-based-bug-reporting: implemented
 * security-karmic-apport-abort:
  * implemented my part
  * "beta available" now
 * [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy|hal deprecation]]:
  * this is as far as we can get in karmic, we won't change further
things after FF
  * I'm happy about how far we got
 * gnome-panel speedup: no progress this week, target of opportunity

Other work done:
 * Implemented guest session in current gdm; this was quite a large
task, the new gdm code is pretty hard to grasp
 * Lots of MIR reviews again
 * Spent the Saturday to fix the crash retracers from "brittle" to
"pretty solid" again
 * Went through Apport's bug list, cleaned it up, and fixed a ton of
bugs
 * Prepared and held developer week talk about translations, with Danilo
and David
 * free time project, but FYI: Added a script "lp-project-upload" to
ubuntu-dev-tools which uploads a project release tarball to LP; this
avoids the click-o-rama which is necessary in the web UI

Sponsoring:
 * bluez, gnome-settings-daemon
 * I sucked at sponsoring this week, sorry

=== Robert Ancell (robert_ancell) ===
 * Package update/merges: gnome-terminal, gtk, gcalctool, brasero,
gnome-power-manager
 * libgnomecanvas glade fixes
 * Patch to make gdmserver serve user information
 * Patch to make gdmserver cache ck-history data to improve startup time
 * gnome-pilot GtkBuilder patch
 * gcalctool bug fixes/triaging
 * gnome-games bug fixes/triaging
 * Updated LP details for GNOME packages

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

 * GNOME updates: pygtk gtk+ glibmm2.4 nautilus-sendto
gst-plugins-good0.10 libunique gvfs nautilus vinagre vino gtkhtml
evolution-data-server evolution evolution-exchange glib pidgin gedit
cheese file-roller gjs gnome-shell
 * updated notify-osd and indicator-applet to their new versions
 * sponsored f-spot update from debian git and fixed a build issue on
the way
 * backported a nautilus git change to fix the preference dialog
crashing
 * updated gnome-panel to reactivate fusa detection
 * fixed gnome-menus games categories not being translatable
 * rebuilt nautilus-sendto with a fixed empathy version
 * desktop bugs triage
 * worked on a the workspace switcher applet spin buttons being broken,
got a fix in git
 * sponsoring: libdbus-menu xsplash indicator-session empathy
gobject-introspection gir-repository ubuntuone-client pidgin
gnome-control-center

=== Tony Espy (awe) ===

Misc:
 * OEM Work

Network Manager:
 * re-release network-manager-pptp to fix version number & update to
latest snapshot; pushed to pptp-ubuntu.head
 * discussed menu changes w/asac; it seems there's an adhoc icon that
can show up next to the signal progress bar, in addition to the
lock/secure icon.  Decided to leave adhoc icon as is.
 * checked out applet code wrt to replacing radio button w/connected
icon
 * created first version of the applet signal strength patch; needs some
minor re-factoring
 * pushed several new versions of applet head branch to fix daily build
failures; adjust patches + updated build and runtime depends.

=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===

 * foomatic-db: Removed redundant PPDs for HP's PostScript printers.
These PPDs are already included in HPLIP and only the versions in HPLIP
are maintained upstream.
 * HPLIP: Applied upstream patch to make HPLIP supporting Policy Kit 1.0
(LP: #419834).
 * Answered and triaged printing-related bug reports.