Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Tue Sep 1 21:39:46 BST 2009

Le mardi 01 septembre 2009 à 10:15 -0700, Dylan McCall a écrit :
<snip>
> I'm a bit concerned about using price to distinguish things here. The
> "price: free" thing is flawed, because it furthers the misconception
> that free software is only free in price, when in fact being free in
> price is quite irrelevant. Software with "price: $20" may still be free
> as in libré, which deserves credit! Is "get free software" going to
> display stuff with price == 0.00, or is it going to display software
> that is _free_?
Agreed. I'd suggest we use "Licence: free", and "Licence: proprietary -
Price: X €" when applicable (and also "Licence: shareware" if needed).
That way, we emphasize the difference between free software and others,
and we don't clutter our UI with ugly prices when they aren't relevant.

We could even remove the "Licence:" part, and display the kind of
software directly.

Hope this helps - and I'm all against the "Store" phrasing BTW :-p