Desktop Team 20090428 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at
Fri May 1 18:44:41 BST 2009

Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find
them and the irc log here:

== Present ==
* Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
* Alexander Sack (asac)
* Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
* Bryce Harrington (bryce)
* Chris Cheney (calc)
* Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
* Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
* Martin Pitt (pitti)
* Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
* Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

== Apologies ==

== Agenda ==
* State of Jaunty
* U1
* Launchpad Team and Kubuntu
* All Hands
* Grand Canaria
* OEM team swapperoo
* Review activity reports
* Any other business

== Actions from this meeting ==
* ACTION: rickspencer3 to get definitive list of who has talks at all
hands to double check that everyone who has one is prepared

== State of Jaunty ==
* pitti reports that we are seeing a fairly normal number of SRUs for
this release, though there are no severe issues as of yet. Evolution
Data Server, and i965 are serious issues that are still being address.
* Generally consensus is that Jaunty we quite a solid release and that
users are reasonably happy with it.
* rickspencer3 stressed the need to move to karmic work asap. Asked that
people with access to i965 hardware volunteer to help with testing,

== U1 ==
* rickspencer3 mandated that the desktop team join and use U1
* Instructions to get started:
* All employees currently have access, public beta is soon
* kenvandine discussed the topic briefly, and asked that everyone with
access please test as much as you can, starting April 29

== Launchpad Team and Kubuntu ==
* rickspencer3 spent time with launchpad leads in London. Interesting
perspective as users, also, three of them are big fans of Kubuntu.

== All Hands ==
* rickspencer3 encouraged team members to get their all hands talks
ready asap.
* there was some ambiguity regarding who got talks accepted and not.
rickspencer3 to follow up.

== UDS ==
* Got key partner related blueprints stubbed out
* pitti asks people to follow naming convention: desktop-karmic-*
* pitti and rickspencer3 to review UDS sessions by next meeting

== Grand Canaria ==
* rickspencer3 reminds team about opening night party
* rickspencer3 asks that everyone schedule to be there for opening night
party (as Canonical is hosting)

== OEM team swapperoo ==
* Reminder, that calc starts this starts on 5/1
* General plan is to slow OOo development during Karmic, as OEM staff
joining us should not be assigned to just OOo
* calc will still be available 20% time for consulting on OOo

== Activity reports ==

=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===

* release bug triage ... staying on top - day and night
* workaround apturl issue that broke install of flash on live CD (LP:
* network-manager-pptp 0.7.1~rc4.20090316+bzr23-0ubuntu3 uploaded and
approved for ubuntu/jaunty (LP: #364356)
* roll firefox/xulrunner security update 3.0.9
* investigate firefox/xulrunner 3.0.10 firedrill and prepare builds;
also found another
   variant for which 3.0.10 is still crashing
* release party

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===

* upgraded my home server from debian lenny to ubuntu jaunty. Took quite
some time but worked. :)
* bug triaging for language-selector
* work on my presentation for AllHands

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
==== Distro ====

* Sent out 'Jaunty-Eve' thank-you's to bug triagers
* Email catch up

==== Xorg ====

* X freezes on -intel
   - Reproduced freeze with various options suggested by upstream.
     Provided upstream with several more GPU dumps for each case.
   - Met with Eric Anholt in Portland to show reproduction of issue
   - Updated general Freeze troubleshooting page in wiki
   - Continued polishing documentation for new debugging tools
   - Reviewed all bug reports mentioning X freezes on intel, and
     notified them of the new tools, asking for them to provide
     dumps for their freeze issue.
     (28 bug reports)
   - Developed mechanism to do patch bisecting within quilt patching
     system so can git bisecting of Debian packages
   - Did extensive git bisecting/testing on mesa, no result
   - Tested Virtual settings - setting at >1606 seems to resolve.
* Helped various people with their X issues
* Create graph of bugs for major video drivers
* Wrote script to move bugs from xorg to more appropriate source
   packages.  Eliminates one big chunk of X bug drudgery.
* Enhanced script to add device name to -intel bug report titles
* Full triage on 'xorg' package
* Misc. fixup of scripts to account for launchpadlib changes
* Created script to itemize -intel bugs based on tagged symptoms
* Set up PPA for X driver updates
   - Merged latest versions of several drivers
* UDS session planning

=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
* Working on OOo 3.1.0 packaging.
* Weekly OOo Release Status Meeting - OOo 3.1.0 rc2 this week
* Weekly desktop team meeting
* Lots of OOo bug triage

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===
* Jaunty final testing and release!
* E-mail catchup
* Reviewing translations and fixing where  broken
* SRUs for packagekit, acpid
* discussing and pondering specs for Karmic
* Open Week talk
* Fill in performance review

* get cracking on merges
* oversee KDE 4.2.3 packaging

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===

===== Done: =====
* Jaunty install testing
* U1 testing and debugging

===== Working on: =====
* U1 testing and debugging
* Message indicator session for Ubuntu Open Week

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===
Currently open stable/milestoned bugs:
* Bug:353879 (move Apport launchpad crash database implementation to
launchpadlib): Fixed in ubuntu bzr head, ready for Karmic upload
* Bug:334446 (Remove gnome-pilot from the default ubuntu install):
simple to do, needs some discussion though

* Jaunty final CD testing, and some release management
* Merged hal, cdbs, debhelper (those were all pretty complex)
* Major SRU round (lots of jaunty SRUs, cleanup for older stables)
* tracked down a cdbs/python-distutils regression, discussed with Debian
* Set up apport retracer for armel, filed RT to fix firewall rules on
rimu; once that's done, it'll actually work
* Organized i965 testing activity, and added a few ideas
* Bug fixing in hal, hal-info, udev (in particular #356631, which is now
in -proposed)

* consolekit, gnome-system-tools, mjpegtools, pulseaudio, tor, tracker
=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
* jaunty CD testing
* tried to keep up with the jaunty desktop bugs
* some jaunty desktop sru uploads

=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===
* SRU for pstopdf CUPS filter (bug 357732) is now in updates, did
another fix on pstopdf and prepared second SRU as one user still
reported problems (also bug 357732).
* Answered and trigaed several printing bug reports.

More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list