Desktop Team 20090331 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Tue Mar 31 20:30:52 BST 2009


Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find
them here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2009-03-24

== Present ==
 * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
 * Alexander Sack (asac)
 * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Chris Cheney (calc)
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
 * Pedro Villavicencio (pedro)

== Apologies ==
 * robert_ancell

== Agenda ==
Compressing meeting to focus 
 * Hug/Bug Day (pedro)
 * LF summit
 * Release Bugs/Release Status
 * Review activity reports
 * Any other business

=== Moved to wiki/email ===
 * Desktop Summit
 * Karmic sprint dates
 * Meeting time

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
 * None

== Actions from this meeting ==
 * ACTION: All - If you've got a blog, blog about X Hug day
 * ACTION: All - Contact pitti if there are people at Linux Foundations
that you want him to meet on your behalf

== Desktop Summit ==
 * http://www.grancanariadesktopsummit.org/
 * If you want to attend, you must submit talk(s), deadline April 10
 * For those who submit talks, but don't get accepted, you may still be
able to go

== Hug/Bug Day (pedro) ==
 * X related Hug day is planned for April 2nd -
http://blog.qa.ubuntu.com/node/45
 * Please join for an hour or two if possible, See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Triaging
 * It would help out if folks could blog about it, especially if they
have blogs on planet.ubuntu

== LF Summit ==
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter): Leading the
[[https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/OpenPrinting_Summit_San_Francisco_2009|OpenPrinting Summit]] Wed-Fri April 8-10
 * Martin Pitt (pitti): Leading the
[[http://events.linuxfoundation.org/backport|Driver Backport Meeting]],
Fri April 10 
 * Let pitti know if there is anyone there you want him to talk to
 * Pitti will be reachable by email, make sure you catch him this week
for high priority items

== Release Bugs/Release Status ==
=== Jaunty Targeted Bugs ===
|| '''Id''' || '''Title''' || '''Assigned To''' || '''Status''' ||
'''Importance''' || '''Package''' || '''Release''' || '''Milestone''' ||
'''Team''' || '''Date Confirmed''' ||
|| 348428 || Swithing to another user and then to anything else, freezes
laptop. Jaunty || bryceharrington || Confirmed || High ||
xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||  ||
canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-26 23:47:22.559454+00:00 ||
|| 352307 || update-notifier message about recording mount passphrase ||
pitti || Triaged || High || ecryptfs-utils (Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||
|| canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-31 11:17:55.932138+00:00 ||
|| 304871 || [i845G] Fatal server error: Couldn't bind memory for BO
front buffer (Jaunty) || bryceharrington || In Progress || High ||
xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||  ||
canonical-desktop-team || 2009-02-04 16:05:50.270746+00:00 ||
|| 264336 || pgsql fails to start due to shared buffer setting greater
than kernel allows || pitti || Triaged || High || postgresql-common
(Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||  || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-02-16
09:39:46.237983+00:00 ||
|| 337926 || vino: mouse cursor stays in upper left corner ||
bryceharrington || New || Medium || xfree86-driver-synaptics (Ubuntu
Jaunty) || jaunty ||  || canonical-desktop-team || None ||
|| 145716 || panel launchers break on upgrade || asac || Triaged ||
Medium || thunderbird (Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||  ||
canonical-desktop-team || 2008-12-31 18:38:57.742883+00:00 ||
|| 271283 || [ooo-build] OpenOffice.org subpixel font rendering broken
with new cairo || asac || Triaged || Medium || openoffice.org (Ubuntu
Jaunty) || jaunty || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-02-04
06:35:37.188598+00:00 ||
|| 348225 || Remove inline translations from .desktop files || pitti ||
Fix Committed || Medium || synaptic (Ubuntu Jaunty) || jaunty ||  ||
canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-25 10:29:01.770611+00:00 ||

=== Milestoned but not targeted bugs, importance=High ===
|| '''Id''' || '''Title''' || '''Assigned To''' || '''Status''' ||
'''Importance''' || '''Package''' || '''Release''' || '''Milestone''' ||
'''Team''' || '''Date Confirmed''' ||
|| 270303 || MASTER - firefox (intrepid): your browser has been updated
and needs to be restarted || asac || In Progress || High || ubufox
(Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2008-10-23
09:11:26.751443+00:00 ||
|| 89005 || [debian] [1:3.0.1-8] oosmoketest fails to run || ccheney ||
Triaged || High || openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 ||
canonical-desktop-team || 2007-06-16 00:29:15.066585+00:00 ||
|| 150579 || OpenOffice covers the whole screen and has no borders or
titlebar when using compiz || ccheney || Triaged || High ||
openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team ||
2009-03-25 02:14:12.693118+00:00 ||
|| 319824 || [ooo-build] DATA LOSS: openoffice oobase reports SIGSEGV in
openjdk-6 when saving a report || ccheney || Triaged || High ||
openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team ||
2009-03-23 03:08:00.935460+00:00 ||
|| 346443 || [ooo-build] uno.py incompatible with python 2.6 / Type
error when using encode || ccheney || Triaged || High || openoffice.org
(Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-21
18:39:57.135039+00:00 ||
|| 346551 || OOo can't see many dictionaries due to not falling back
from ll_cc to ll (sv-SE is one) || ccheney || Triaged || High ||
openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team ||
2009-03-21 23:40:29.359513+00:00 ||
|| 347144 || Error when try to install BrOffice 3.0.1 in Ubuntu 8.04 ||
ccheney || Fix Committed || High || openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  ||
ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-23 15:10:23.733474
+00:00 ||
|| 347209 || OOo should use %F instead of %U for desktop files. ||
ccheney || Triaged || High || openoffice.org (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04
|| canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-26 05:04:39.650984+00:00 ||
|| 339847 || system-config-printer notification patch should auto-detect
capabilities of notification daemon, so that it can get upstreamized ||
ken-vandine || In Progress || High || system-config-printer (Ubuntu) ||
|| ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-09 09:51:20.656605
+00:00 ||
|| 343904 || Print errors are presented as alerts with redundant buttons
|| ken-vandine || New || High || system-config-printer (Ubuntu) ||  ||
ubuntu-9.04-beta || canonical-desktop-team || None ||
|| 348852 || nvidia driver 180.44 is available || bryceharrington ||
Triaged || High || nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 (Ubuntu) ||  ||
ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-28 02:47:27.318783
+00:00 ||
|| 341803 || Ericsson F3507g - reports 3 mobile broadband connections ||
asac || Incomplete || High || network-manager (Ubuntu) ||  ||
ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || None ||
|| 341940 || Ericsson F3507g - name displayed very long in nm-applet ||
asac || New || High || network-manager-applet (Ubuntu) ||  ||
ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team || None ||
|| 310353 || Default font size too large if using native DPI || asac ||
In Progress || High || gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04
|| canonical-desktop-team || 2009-03-18 21:52:00.957050+00:00 ||
|| 323109 || network-manager integration: firefox downloads do not
honour network-manager online/offline state || asac || Triaged || High
|| firefox-3.0 (Ubuntu) ||  || ubuntu-9.04 || canonical-desktop-team ||
2009-01-30 10:42:13.537418+00:00 ||

=== Release Status ===
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/ReleaseStatus
 * bryce has a fall back plan for users with i8x5 chipsets
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/304871). Will disable DRI for those users.
 * No red flags at this time

== Activity reports ==
=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===

==== mozilla ====
 * superurgent friday firefox security firedrill
 * fix daily prism build for mozillateam
 * investigate prism breakage in jaunty after xulrunner security update;
turned out that xulrunner has suffered from python incident; solution:
no-change reupload (LP: #351988 and LP: #350594)

==== network manager ====
 * fix networkmanager modemprober fixes (LP: #346835)
 * discuss work left for final networkmanager 0.7.1 with upstream
 * update libmbca (mobile-broadband-wizard) to latest bug-fix release;
fix translation issues and and discuss future with upstream (LP:
#290625, LP: #291226, LP: #334377)
 * investigate karmic top crash and discussed with upstream (LP:
#319918)
 * discuss hal issues during upgrade with upstream; identified a fix we
might need to SRU to intrepid; next: test and do SRU (LP: #349060)

==== Misc ====
 * keep on top of beta bugs for network manager and firefox
 * a bit font investigation - broken fontsizes in gtk/pango markup
 * some beta image testing on netbook

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===

 * Rosetta import queue cleaning for Jaunty
 * Template clean up in Rosetta
 * fontconfig configuration testing
 * iso testing (Jaunty Beta)

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
==== Distro ====
 * Sponsoring - Reviewed compiz debdiff, but deferred to mvo.
   audacity(#349529), a2mp3(#344061), libdrm(#346556)
 * Wrote launchpadlib scripts:
   - Identify bugs with git commit id's (which may indicate upstream
     fixes)
   - Identify backtraces in descriptions or attachments
   - Update expire script to not expire assigned, wishlist, etc. bugs
   - On Incomplete bugs, detect if user attached requested files

==== Xorg Work ====
 * Prepared xorg-server upload with fixes for crasher bugs
   #328035, #324465, #267241 and disabiling debug patches.
   Appears to have resolved a number of "random X crash" issues.
 * Analyzed a number of other xserver crash bugs.  Created patches for
   some; awaiting testing verification from reporters.
 * Bug triage, closed out obsolete bugs, bringing us <1600 total
   Ubuntu-X bugs for first time since last May.
 * Polished up X HugDay wiki page to help prep for April 2nd hug day
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20090402
 * Coordination of libdrm, mesa updates by community members
 * Catch up on xorg-devel, debian-x mailing lists
 * Work on xorg package - minor improvements to apport support and to
   failsafe mode.
 * Reviewed all of Fedora's X patches.  Found a couple worth including
   (one fixes the dual-card startup failure issue)

==== Misc ====
 * Wed Mar 25th - day off (swap)

=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
 * Uploaded memtest86+ 2.11-3ubuntu1 to jaunty
 * Synced ifrench 1.4-24 to jaunty
 * Synced norwegian 2.0.10-3 to jaunty
 * Synced raptor 1.4.18-2 to jaunty
 * Preparing openoffice.org 1:3.0.1-9ubuntu1 for jaunty
 * Preparing openoffice.org-l10n 1:3.0.1-9ubuntu1 for jaunty
 * Reinstalled laptop with Ubuntu Jaunty amd64 beta for testing
 * Followed up on issue that fdo admins still haven't created my
ooo-build account
 * Worked on gnome bug 574968, appears to be a threading issue in fuse
 * Weekly OOo Release Status Meeting - 3.1 RC build later this week
 * Weekly desktop team meeting
 * Lots of OOo bug triage


=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

done:
 * beta testing and release
 * KDE 4.2.2 packaging
 * book travel to UDS
 * review and upload patches to libmsn, qt, kdebase-workspace
(notifications)

todo:
 * 4.2.2 testing and upload
 * lots more bug fixing

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===
====== Done ======
* Reversed notify-sharp patches from last month, the library shouldn't
decide if actions are needed.
* Reworked system-config-printers patch to check for supported
capabilities
* Beta install testing
* Fixed the ekiga launchpad integration patches
* Bug fix in kerneloops patch
* Fixed up the python indicator example

====== Working on ======
* Auditing notifications used by system-config-printer
* Assisting the DX team with bugs and packaging needs in preparation for
the RC freeze
* Use case testing

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===
Assigned blueprints: all implemented

Currently open stable/milestoned bugs:
 * Bug:264336 (pgsql fails to start due to shared buffer setting greater
than kernel allows): hard to reproduce, started discussion upstream
 * Bug:344688 (New PostgreSQL bug fix microreleases: 8.3.7, 8.1.17): in
-proposed
 * Bug:346078 (do not announce ath_pci in jockey on systems where ath5k
is running): planned for this week
 
Non-chores stuff done:
 * Lots of bug fixing, concentrating on milestoned/jaunty bugs and
apport
 * Intro call with Robert Ancell
 * Packaged new gnome-pilot to PPA, needs testing (Bug:348940)
 * Some travel prep for LF summit

Sponsoring:
 * ekiga, fast-user-switch-applet, gnome-themes-ubuntu, graphviz,
gthumb, kerneloops, laptop-mode-tools, metacity, nano, nautilus-share,
nvidia-common, opal, pidgin, ptlib, totem, transmission
 * Reviewed, but not uploaded: bluez-gnome, bluez

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
* spent the week in the London office with robert_ancell who just
started, showed him how we are working, discussed work split, etc

* jaunty beta iso testing

* looked again at what we could win on the CD, splited the gnomeprint
and gtksourceview binaries in gnome-python-desktop so libgnomeprint,
libgnomeprintui and libgtksourceview could be moved out of the CD, the
space win is small, that could break depends for third party packages
and those libs are still build depends and need to stay in main so the
win is not really worth the trouble, we will do that following the
debian changes next cycle rather

* updated notify-osd and pygtksourceview to jaunty

* lot of bug triage after beta, fixed some desktop issues in jaunty

* sponsoring: gnome-applets pidgin gnome-media gnome-games seahorse
gnome-games pidgin-libnotify libunique

* investigated xorg crashing in the intel driver code after user
switching on my d630, not luck with valgrind but got stacktrace for the
exa crash and a different uxa one

=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===

 * Finished adding apport hooks to the printing-related packages which
did not get treated before the beta (bug #338442).
 * Fixed PPD file update script in all packages providing PPD files. It
showed (harmless) error messages if their were PPDs without CUPS queue
in /etc/cups/ppd (bug #345866)
 * Fixed command line option handling and custom option support in
foomatic-filters, I hope this is the last fix for Jaunty and upstream
Foomatic 4.0.1 (bug #338999)
 * Prepared SRU for foo2zjs (did not handle custom paper sizes in PDF
printing workflow, bug #351630)
 * Fixed names for Ricoh and OEM printers in Gutenprint (upstream and
Jaunty) so that there are no duplicate listings of the printers models
in the printer setup tools.
 * Uploaded several fixes in system-config-printer and hal-cups-utils
after the beta freeze: Adaptation to HPLIP 3.9.2, assure that driver
choice of new printer wizard and Plug'n'Print is the same.
 * Re-uploaded HPLIP unchanged to overcome Python bug on build server.




More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list