3Gb ram being reported as 1.9Gb

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Mar 31 11:25:23 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 23:33 +0100, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:

> Olá Nishith e a todos.
>
> On Monday 30 March 2009 15:44:10 Nishith Nand wrote:
> > > Should also note that some boards are incapable of using DIMMs bigger then
> > > some size, or chipset limits to the amount of address memory.
> > > In your case maybe you are being hit by the board limit or a faulty DIMM.
> > > Run memtest to be sure.
> > >

> > I have an ASUS A8N VM mobo, it supports 4GBs of RAM. Its detected correctly
> > by windows. memtest shows me 3071MB RAM.
>
> I guess you found a bug...
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
> (or better yet: $ apport-cli -fp linux)

Not necessarily; I'd still like to hear whether the amd64 version works
fine.  If it does, it's most likely the BIOS memory layout that's the
issue.

A PAE-enabled kernel would probably work - Nishith: have you tried
installing a -server variant of the kernel and seeing whether that can
utilise all of your memory?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant