Desktop Team 20090623 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Wed Jun 24 01:00:28 BST 2009


Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find
them and the irc log here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2009-06-23

== Present ==
=== Main Meeting ===
 * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
 * Alexander Sack (asac)
 * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Chris Cheney (calc)
 * Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)  
 * Tony Espy

=== Eastern Edition ===
 * Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)
 * Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)

== Apologies ==
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)

== Agenda ==
 * Outstanding actions from last meeting

=== Announcements ===
 * pitti: Reminder: do you merges (https://merges.ubuntu.com/main.html)
 * pitti:
[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+specs?searchtext=desktop-karmic-|spec status]]
 * Karmic Sprint is in Dublin
 
=== Status Updates ===
 * Partner Update
 * Kubuntu Update
 * Release Bugs/Release Status
 * Review activity reports

=== Discussion ===
 * Paper cut bugs

== Actions from this meeting ==
 * ACTION: kenvandine to investigate mozjz linkage and ABI/API policy
 * ACTION: kenvandine to work with asac regarding white listing of U1
 * ACTION: All - look out for paper cuts mail each week, and fix on if
possible.
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to review how paper cut effort is working for
the team in two weeks.
 * ACTION: awe to review Audio spec and to comment on volume scaling

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
 * ACTION: All - finishing adding work items to white boards by Thursday
  * Work items added, burndown chart running:
http://piware.de/tmp/desktopteam-burndown-karmic.png
 * ACTION: All - finish spec drafting by Thursday and set them to
"pending approval" 
  * All specs have been through a round of review, some stragglers not
yet approved
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to ask davidbarth if the DXE team needs help
setting up burndown charts 
 * ACTION: MIR team, please review Kubuntu MIRs 
 * ACTION: pitti to slurp work items from Kubuntu wiki and integrate
into burndown 
  * Done
 * ACTION: All - review https://merges.ubuntu.com/main.html and ask
pitti for assistance if needed
  * No status checked

== Karmic Sprint ==
 * Will be in Dublin
 * Go ahead and arrange travel
 * Check the wiki for all info

== Partner Update ==
 * [[UbuntuOne/DesktopIntegration/Status|Ubuntu One]]
 * DX Team - Waiting for iteration planning wiki page

== X Update ==
 * We are ahead of curve on merges
   * 11 packages need merge/sync, out of 92 updates since Jaunty.
   * 10 packages have upstream releases but not yet in Debian
   * Of these, 4 are high priority (xorg, -fglrx, -nvidia, and -intel).
All are in PPAs or git now.  Will be uploaded after testing.
   * git snapshots of xserver, -ati/KMS, & -nouveau/KMS are in PPAs

 * X.org in Karmic is working well
   * 2107 total open X bugs; this is high but the rate of open growth
bugs has leveled off, compared with the post-Jaunty period.
     * -nvidia and -intel are where most bug growth has occurred.
   * Kernel updates have solved nearly all -intel problems on Jaunty.
   * KMS on -intel is ready to switch on by default.  -ati / -nouveau
WIP.

 * xorg-edgers is proving itself, both for testing of various KMS bits,
and avoiding potential regressions in proposed updates.[0].  The Intel
upstream developers have also been quite pleased with xorg-edgers[1]; if
xorg-edgers makes life easier for upstream developers, maybe they'll be
recommending ubuntu more often.
   * 0: http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/drupal/xorg-edgers
   * 1: http://cworth.org/intel/driver_stability/

 * We are also now maintaining two "backport" style PPAs to provide
additional support options for past releases like Jaunty:
   * 'x-updates' for upgraded drivers
   * 'x-retro' for downgraded drivers

== Paper Cut Bugs ==
 * rickspencer3 asks who has fixed a paper cut bug.
 * some discussion of work and communication flow ensued. Some engineers
are being flooded with bug mail result from the effort.
 * rickspence3 provides guidance to consider paper cuts to be as
important as spec work, and for canonical engineers to invest at least
half a day every two weeks to the effort.
 * rickspence3 also advises looking our for the mail to ubuntu-devel
each week for that week's paper cuts, rather than trying to harvest them
from the launchpad project.
 * ACTION: All - look out for paper cuts mail each week, and fix on if
possible.


== Activity reports ==

=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===

(two days on holiday)

 * finish spec work; add work items (was a bit work intensive)
 * update nspr to 4.7.5 in karmic
 * update nss to 3.12.3 in karmic; fixed crasher on buildd's caused
during lib signing
 * respin thunderbird in security PPA using latest nspr/nss in an
attempt to fix armel issues
 * more tbird + armel discussions
 * discussions about VMC and chrom{e,ium} with upstream
 * coordinate work split with espy
 * some MIR processing
 * started to evaluate blueman as an even better replacement for
gnome-bluetooth
 * prepared evaluation patch for bug 360905 and asked users for testing.
Not much feedback yet.

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===

 * Specs: desktop-karmic-input-methods got approved,
desktop-karmic-language-selector-karmic got reviewed by pitti. Fixed the
spec according to pitti's suggestions, now waiting for mpt to update his
mockup.
 * Discussion with ibus upstream about ibus development
 * Triaging some of ibus upstream bug reports
 * Followed up discussion about font classification with Enrico Zini:
since fontconfig cannot reliably determine for which languages a font is
acceptable to use for, the idea is now to create a font registry, where
font metadata is centrally collected and maintained. Similar to debtags,
but font specific.
 * Discussions with Launchpad Translations team: translation opening for
karmic will be postponed a bit, since Launchpad has some hardware
problems with their staging server, so the tests didn't run through.
Need to wait until this is fixed and the tests have been completed.
 * Trying merge for scim, but FTBFS on my machine. Need to investigate.
 * Travel planning for Desktop sprint

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===

 * Finished up blueprint work
 * Testing nouveau + apw's kernel on nvidia and ati hw
 * Upgraded an i945 laptop to karmic for more KMS testing
 * Help various alpha-2 upgraders with X bugs
 * Improved script for summarizing upstreamed UXA bug reports; now
   displays upstream bug status info that's missing in LP currently.
 * Packaged new versions of -fglrx and -nvidia; in my PPA now.
 * Worked on scripts to request re-tests for new driver uploads
 * Wrote Xorg status report for tues meeting
 * Catchup on email from being gone


=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
 * Uploaded openoffice.org 1:3.1.0-5ubuntu1 to h/i/j/k
 * Bug 389403 was discovered blocking OOo Rosetta usage
 * Weekly desktop team meeting
 * Lots of OOo bug triage

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===
 <Holiday>

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===
===== Done: =====
 * Ubuntu One related package MIRs (not complete, awaiting feedback from
OLS team)
 * Desktop Integration status wiki pages
 * Ubuntu One blueprint reviews and converting user stories into
acceptance tests
 * Vacation :)

===== This week: =====
 * Integrate DX iterations into DesktopIntegration status tracking
 * Align milestones for both DX and OLS teams
 * Figure out the farsight deps for main

=== Luke Yelavich (TheMuso) ===
=== Accessibility ===
 * Started work on the gnome-speech replacement specification, due to
needing to work closely with a couple of projects to get the ball
rolling. Log items will reflect current progress of this spec.
 * Found that compiz now works better with accessibility, in that window
titles are announced when switching between windows, however there are
still some focus issues to be resolved. Will talk to upstream about how
I can help to debug these issues.

=== Audio ===
 * Audio bug triaging, bugs in question are against pulseaudio, alsa
userspace, and the kernel for hardware enablement.
 * Continued drafting of the audio experience spec.
 * Tested suspend and resume with a bluetooth headset and pulseaudio, to
find that while pulseaudio resumes playing the audio, it doesn't get
played from the bluetooth headset. This may not be easy to fix, but I'll
see what I can do to fix it.
 * Tested suspend and resume with a USB sound care and pulseaudio, with
the same results as above for bluetooth. This may be easier to fix.
 * Merged changes from Debian for pulseaudio, which is a bunch of
stability fixes from upstream.
 * Sponsored a new upstream svn snapshot upload of PortAudio. I need to
see how well espeak behaves with this version.

=== Misc ===
 * Sponsored a few gnome related uploads, as well as the portaudio
upload mentioned above.
=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Karmic spec drafting: all approved

Karmic feature work:
 * desktop-karmic-automagic-python-build-system:
  * started test suite, fixed a few bugs uncovered by that, and cleaned
up some code
 * desktop-karmic-symptom-based-bug-reporting:
  * implemented infrastructure and test cases, basic system works now
 * [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy|hal deprecation]]:
  * Improved script to translate hal-info music players to udev rules
and info files
  * ported gvfs cdda backend from hal to gudev, patch sent upstream
  * started porting gvfs gphoto backend to gudev (over-the-weekend job,
will still take a while)
 * gnome-panel speedup: no progress this week

Other work done:
 * Added moin parsing to workitems.py, added Kubuntu wiki WIs
 * Checked/synced some merges from other people, to help out
 * Fought with newer tzdata and Bangladesh breakage, finally got it
sorted out, in -updates now
 * PolicyKit-1 migration: packaged policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome,
new gnome-disk-utility, and new devicekit-disks; all staged in
ubuntu-desktop PPA and karmic NEW now
 * Reviewed empathy dependency breakage, updated MIR bug; rolled back
karmic seeds to pidgin to unbreak CD builds
 * Loads and loads of spec reviews/approvals
 * Updated langpack-locales to latest locale data, and changed the
package to be easier to maintain/update

Merges: mine are all done

Sponsoring:
 * brasero, dput, eog, gnome-games, json-glib, libsoup2.4, lintian,
metacity, ntfs-3g, pdf2djvu, poppler, pyth
on-crypto, vte, xen-3.3


=== Robert Ancell (robert_ancell) ===

 * Updated pacakges: bluez-gnome, evince, file-roller, gcalctool, gedit,
glade-3, gnome-games, gnome-nettool, gnome-system-monitor, gucharmap,
libwnck, metacity
 * Worked on versions tool, adding bug links, more packages, universe
packages (disabled by default), LP theme
 * Triaged compiz
 * Made patch for mute button problems in gst-mixer, bug #299642

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
 * GNOME 2.27.3 updates: evolution-data-server evolution
evolution-exchange file-roller glib gtk+ pygtk

 * desktop merges: libwnck pango gnome-pkg-tools

 * added work items to the specs I'm drafting

 * updated notify-osd in karmicn reviewed and sponsored
gnome-settings-daemon changes for the new notify-osd version

 * fixed some desktop bugs in karmic

 * desktop bug triage

 * some minors tweak to the script to build the ubuntu desktop component
versions table, set up a cron job in the datacenter so it gets regularly
updated

 * sponsoring: gnome-desktop gconf gnome-system-monitor gtk2-engines
gnome-menus gucharmap pessulus vino gnome-settings-daemon

=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===
 * Completed bug cleanup of foomatic-db
 * Merged and updated Foomatic packages: foomatic-db,
foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-hpijs
 * Updated HPLIP to version 3.9.6, moved ACL control to allow the
desktop user to access non-printing functions of HP's printers and
multi-function devices from HAL to UDEV (LP: #389841), applied
user-contributed patch to make printing on CDs and DVDs working again
(LP: #380858).
 * Regression in the support for documents with changing page sizes in
the Poppler PostScript output (LP: #382379): Two users complained that
duplex printing stopped working. Fixed the problem in Poppler (got also
accepted upstream) and replaced the proposed Poppler package for the
Jaunty SRU. Got already positive reactions of the two complaining users
on this fix.
 * Tested new user-contributed patch for making evince sending PDF to
CUPS when printing. Works perfectly now (LP: #258421).
 * Updated upstream GIT repositories of hal-cups-utils and
system-config-printer to work together correctly with HPLIP 3.9.6.

=== Tony Espy (awe) ===
 * spent time analyzing the VMC code; wasn't able to run on 9.04.  Had a
discussion about future VMC plans with Jerone and Brent Fox ( FAE Team )
and David Mandala ( mobile ).
 * started working on the network-manager 0.7.1 VPN updates.
 * general network-manager bug maintenance work.
 * discussed OEM network-manager short-term requirements for
modem-manager work.
 * updates to [[DesktopTeam/ConnectionManagerComparison]] table.





More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list