Idea: To have oversight of (or at least be made aware of) highly visible projects.

H S perhapspink at
Tue Jun 23 18:26:24 BST 2009

I posted this to the Ayatana Team list (ayatana at, but
they suggested it was better suited to you.  You can see the original at

"The second task is developing the desktop to improve the user experience,
both by improving the usability of our existing desktop and developing
innovating new interface concepts." --

Shouldn't that mean that the Desktop Experience Team should have some
oversight, or at least, be made aware of, certain highly visible projects?

For example, the slideshow that will show during the Ubiquity install for
Karmic ( will
be the first impression that many new users will have of Ubuntu.  Shouldn't
the Desktop Experience Team at least keep an eye on - and at most, lend some
design and communication skills and polish to - this project?  If left to
their own devices, I'm afraid the project will only produce a very
'rinky-dink', amateurish outcome that will not leave a good first

I've already tried to lend my design opinions at, but to little
or no avail. :-(

I could suggest other projects as well, but I'm curious what people think.
Shouldn't The Desktop Experience Team have some level of participation in
highly visible (to the end-user) projects, so that good, consistent,
well-designed 'look and feel' is persistent throughout the Ubuntu