about empathy as the default IM application

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 15 23:00:35 BST 2009

Ah, yes-- this discussion will keep coming up until it finally happens =]

IMHO Empathy is great for most users, especially new ones, and it can
replace poth pidgin AND ekiga. It lacks the basic features like the ones you
mentioned, but i don't think they are showstoppers and including it in
Karmic or the next release i'm sure would guarantee that all of those would
be resolved within the release cycle. It is simple and integrates well, and
we want to make Ubuntu friendly for NEW users. Old users who prefer the
clutter and feature madness of pidgin will simply install it from Add/Remove
(or not even have to if they run an upgrade). If Ubuntu switched to Empathy,
it's development is going to get a big boost so the feature gap will close
and eventaully reverse. Are people really defending Pidgin for the future of
Ubuntu or as their pet IM client?

http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo