R: [Fwd: [Ayatana] Empathy is not in line with the much discussed guidelines]

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 1 03:22:20 BST 2009

Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> 1) New messages cause empathy th flash the notification area. _This is
> forbidden_, I do not know if it's written black-on-white somewhere but
> we all know that we shouldn't flash the notification area, should the
> world be falling. Update notifier can not do that. Why should empathy do
> that? This must be fixed.

Agreed - new messages should optionally use notifications, and then put
the green dot on the messaging indicator, not use the
window-calling-for-attention mechanism.

> 2) It does _not open a popup_ on new messages.
I think opening a window should be optional - we have the messaging
indicator for accessing the window if you want it.

> There is also a problem: empathy does not handle IRC authentication
> correctly. Pidgin has a plugin for that but why not just making
> authentication work? Basically, it should hide from the sight of the
> user the positive response from the server instead of annoying the user
> with a message.

Server messages should also not show up in notifications.

Mark