Gthumb as default image viewer?

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Fri Jul 3 23:00:49 BST 2009

Le vendredi 03 juillet 2009 à 06:59 -0700, Tim Zakharov a écrit :
> I think it's worth mentioning again, but slightly off-topic, that we
> really need in F-Spot, to uncheck "Copy files to the Photos folder" as
> a default setting in the Import dialog.  This assumes you want your
> photos in said folder, in your home directory, and one must remember
> *each time* one imports photos, to uncheck this box if you choose your
> photos to be in a different destination.
>
> Imagine for the first time running F-spot, and importing your
> collection of 30,000 photos you store on an external drive, and not
> noticing this setting.  Hours later, when the file copy completes,
> your home directory now has no free space.  Now imagine each time you
> import more photos, you forget to uncheck this setting, then must
> manually delete the photos it copied over.  This to me is a terrible
> feature of F-spot, which is otherwise a very decent photo organizer.
Good candidate for a paper cut, isn't it? F-Spot should remember your
last choice at least, even if we can argue that the default should be to
copy files. Maybe we could also check the media the photos are on, and
check the box by default accordingly (e.g. you want to copy photos
coming from a camera or flash card).

Would you report a bug as such against both f-spot in Ubuntu and
hundredpapercuts? Thanks!