Desktop Team Weekly Summary, 2009-01-20

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at
Tue Jan 20 21:57:27 GMT 2009

Here are the minutes of the weekly meeting and activity reports. This 
can also be found here:

== Present ==
  * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
  * Alexander Sack (asac)
  * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
  * Chris Cheney (calc)
  * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
  * Martin Pitt (pitti)
  * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
  * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

== Apologies ==
  * Bryce Harrington (bryce) - family emergency

== Agenda ==
  * Outstanding actions from last meeting
  * Berlin Sprint activities
  * Presenting at conferences
  * "Changing Add/Remove..."
  * [[|Sponsoring Overview 
  * Release Status
   * Dx Support
   * Open Office
   * Kubuntu
   * New GDM (PPA and Migration)
   * Device Kit
   * Pervasive Networking
   * Apport (hooks and backend)
   * Bug squash
   * Font selector GUI
   * xorg.conf GUI
  * Review activity reports
  * Any other business

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
   * Action: asac to clean up jaunty-desktop-network-changing wiki; 
draft expected behavior and test cases
    * Result: Mostly done, will go through and file bugs on apps that 
are misbehaving.
   * Action: everyone tag 10 pet bugs by Friday
    * Result: all done, except Bryce. Some have tagged < 10
   * Action: rickspencer3 to follow up with Maria regarding info for 
    * Result: Canonical would like to encourage participation and 
presenting at conferences. Rick to discuss with team members and 
encourage ideas.

== Actions from this meeting ==
  * ArneGoetje, Seb128, all: set specs to "pending approval" so that 
Martin can sign off/provide feedback if still not done.
  * bryce: tag 10 pet bugs
  * rickspencer3: follow up on status of meeting attendance. What 
action, if any, is necessary for people to start signing up and attending?
  * rickspencer3: provide Jane and Chris community/team feedback 
regarding Add/Remove... renaming.
  * seb128: Get new GDM into universe this week.
  * rickspencer3: consolidate list of sprint topics, send to all along 
with other scheduled topics.

== Presentations ==
Canonical would like to encourage participation and presenting at 
conferences. Rick to discuss with team members and encourage ideas.

== Changing the Add/Remove ... ==
The team and community are overall supportive of the notion of changing 
the label as long as:
  1. Usable - users know what it is, and existing users aren't confused.
  2. Translatable
  3. Cooler than "Add/Remove..."
  4. Doesn't make the menu look bad, for example, by being too long
We should test whatever we come up with through user testing, or seb128 
could even integrate it into an alpha.

== Berlin Sprint ==
We discussed possible topics for the upcoming sprint. These are all the 
*proposed* topics only at this point:
  1. fix hotkey
  2. fix beamer/projector
  3. fix suspend/resume for everyone's laptop
  4. fix the intel driver in xorg for i855, 915 and 945 first
  5. fix machines that crash when user switching
  6. Session with Seb128 and Pitti on efficient bug management
  7. Work with Dx team to install new stuff on our laptops
  8. Fixing bugs where it is useful to pick brains of our colleagues
  9. Finish a great deal of language selector
  10. fixing bugs in apps that dont behave properly on network changes
  11. making sure our mysql changes get agreed and in
  12. measure everyone's desktop startup speed and work on making them 
  13. Try not allowing GNOME Settings Deamon to force DPI of 96, even if 
overriding value in xorg.cof

== Release Status ==
=== Dx Support ===
davidbarth provided an update of the Dx team status:
  * mpt has reviewed all of main and universe. davidbarth believes they 
can patch all applications that use actions in time for Jaunty.
  * The last POR regarding handling notifications with actions had to be 
revisited. The Dx team has a recommendation, but it was not covered in 
this meeting.
  * Will drop patches patched applications as they are patched.
  * Already have good support from Mozilla (thanks to asac).
  * More on message indicator expected next week, including API
=== New GDM (Universe and Migration) ===
  * seb128 will upload the new GDM to universe this week.
  * no progress on migrations yet (not slated for Jaunty)

=== Device Kit ===
  * Latest DK and DK-power are in universe
  * Ted to package new GPM in a PPA, needs to work on his packaging branch
  * Jaunty will use version 2.24.3 of GPM, 2.25 requires new GPM, which 
is not ready

== Activity reports ==
  * All done on time

== Other Business ==
  * seb128 informs us that two things were removed from Alpha CD and 
moved to supported due to space constraints:
   * nautilus-cd-burner (brasero fulfills all the requirements)
   * deskbar-applet tracker to supported (disabled by default)
  * seb128 brings up that it might be time to revisit GNOME Settings 
Daemon's behavior of overriding font dpi settings in xorg.conf

=== Alexander Sack (asac) ===
  * track mozilla security progress; backport patches and get approval
    for landing for most
  * committed a bunch of security patches upstream
  * committed fix for moz bug 471359 and asked for approval for 1.9.1
  * evaluated and fixed nss/nspr mini-transition fallout (LP: #316452);
    thanks to mvo who helped using his upgrade testing testing
  * initial libnotify backport to 1.9.0 branch; status: works, but
    breaks ABI; next: make patch suitable for stable xulrunner branch
    by unbreaking ABI
  * marked a few pet-bugs
  * sponsored liferea (intrepid SRU), network-manager (committed to jaunty
    bzr), evolution-data-server, nmap (jaunty), mozvoikko (jaunty/NEW)
    and seahorse (jaunty)
  * drafted most parts for DesktopNetworkChanging spec document (KDE 
apps missing);
    started to verify individual apps
  * wrote down 3GNetworkingJaunty roadmap wiki page (not a spec)
  * fix URL escaping bug in gwibber and sent fix upstream and got it merged

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===
  * marking my pet-bugs
  * finish the JauntyLanguageSelectorImprovements spec with the help of mpt.
  * translations issue: it was discovered that if a translation was
marked as c-format and had format strings where the original msgid
didn't, it might crash applications if the user was running his system
in that language. Since this was considered a security issue and
affected Hardy and Intrepid, this had to be solved urgently. In the
result, we turn on c-format checking in langpack-o-matic when generating
language packs. Also all affected translations need to be fixed in
Launchpad, the translation teams have been notified and are working on
this issue. Also the Launchpad Translations Team is involved in
improving Rosetta to filter out buggy translations.

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
  * Unexpectedly out, will complete upon return

=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
  * Jan 19 - US Holiday
  * Packaged 1:3.0.1~rc1-2ubuntu3 - reduce cd space for 
  * Packaged 1:3.0.1~rc1-2ubuntu3 - reduce cd space 
for jaunty
  * Packaged 1:3.0.1~rc1-2ubuntu4 - reduce cd space for 
  * Discussed OOo breakage issues wrt fitting on cd with rene and slangasek
  * Discussed LP #317587 with Caolán McNamara of RedHat
  * Discussed OOo SRU for 8.04 with Rick
  * Started preparing 8.04 SRU
  * Weekly OOo Release Status Meeting
  * Weekly desktop team meeting
  * Lots of OOo bug triage
  * Marked pet bugs

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===
  * tested and fixed until alpha 3 was usable
  * bugfixes to system-config-printer-kde
  * split mysql package for Akonadi
  * investigated mysql changes needed for Amarok
  * checked and fixed kpackagekit packages
  * test networkmanager plasmoid
  * Add MSN support back in Kopete
  * Fix licence for google-gadgets
  * Update libmsn package for beta 3
  * archive admin

  * MIRs for qzion, qedje, google-gadgets, quassel
  * security review on libmsn

  * get packagekit into main
  * get amarok and akonadi co-installing
  * system-config-printer-kde work

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===
Only an 1-day week (well, plus some of Sunday), due to being on
holiday last week.

Progress on assigned blueprints:
  * apport-retracer-maintenance: done, retracer is now running; still
  needs some manual handholding and bug fixes, but that falls under
  "maintenance" now.

Currently open stable/milestoned bugs: all done

Merges: all done

  * Mostly caught up with email and SRU floods from last week
  * Ran suspend/resume script on my computer, gave some feedback
  * Some hal bug fixing
  * Lots of apport retracer maintenance

Sponsoring: lxml, pulseaudio, xaos

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
  * GNOME updates: epiphany-browser, evince, glib, gtkhtml, alacarte,
gvfs, nautilus, gtksourceview, gedit, poppler, evince
  * desktop bugs triage
  * sponsoring:
deskbar-applet, gcalctool, gnome-session, xchat-gnome, zenity
  * desktop sru uploads:
totem in hardy
evolution-data-server, evolution, evolution-exchange in intrepid
  * updated the gdm-upgrade spec and tagged bugs for jaunty

=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===
  * Released Foomatic 4.0.0 upstream and updated the Jaunty packages 
(foomatic-db, foomatic-db-hpijs, foomatic-db-engine, and 
foomatic-filters) appropriately.
  * New foomatic-filters fixes around 10 regresssions against Hardy in 
Intrepid. Posted SRU request to update Intrepid to 4.0.0 final, too. See 
  bug 318816, bug 318818, bug 299918, bug 303691, probably fixes also 
bug 318614.
  * Further investigations on the following bugs:
    * bug 310575: A3 pdf file is cropped and printed on A4 paper
    * bug 310854: Printing Photos with Canon original drivers stopped 
working in Intrepid
    * bug 277404: hp laserjet postscript text print does not print some 
    * bug 308817: duplex printing through CUPS no longer works
    They are all close to be solved now.
  * Added facility to automatically update the PPDs of existing print 
queues to the following source packages with PPDs or PPD generators: 
foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-db, foomatic-db-hpijs, cups, cupsddk.
  * Reported bug 318262: /dev/bus/usb/*/* files (device nodes for 
libusb) of printers must be readble and writable for user "lp"
  * Answered to several printing-related bug reports

More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list