Please Comment: Proposal to change the name of Applications -> Add/Remove...

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 16 09:55:06 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer at canonical.com> wrote:
> All -
>
> A proposal has been put forward to change the name of the
> "Add/Remove..." menu item.
{snip}
> Solution:
> Change the name of "Add/Remove..." to "Software Library".

I've always felt myself that "Add/Remove..." didn't make much sense as
a name. The fact that it ends with an ellipsis was always a mystery to
me. Software Library is a much clearer name.

I agree with Oliver that "Add/Remove..." seems to refer to adding or
removing items from a menu, but I think that is the wrong effect to
seek in the first place - what the application does isn't to add or
remove things from a menu (the menu editor does that) but rather to
add or remove programs to the installation.

Wholehearted +1 from me.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org