[ubuntu-web] Girl gets Ubuntu on a Dell by mistake, absolutely hates it...

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Thu Jan 15 14:02:11 GMT 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Brett Alton wrote:

> http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184
>
> This girl in the United States ordered an Ubuntu-loaded Dell laptop by
> accident, expecting it came with Windows. She was confused due to
> Ubuntu 7.10's inability to load her Verizon Internet CD (which she
> doesn't actually need) and that Microsoft Office was incompatible with
> it (even though she could use OpenOffice.org).
>
> Now, Ubuntu has already come a long way from 7.10, but I am posting
> this to the ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-education and ubuntu-website
> mailing lists because I believe this story's message is important: How
> do we ensure that previous Windows users are comfortable using Ubuntu?
>
> Maybe post some information on the Ubuntu website how OpenOffice.org
> can save/edit/read Microsoft Office documents?

That probably wouldn't have helped Abbie since she couldn't connect to
the Internet at all, but it would help others considering switching to
Ubuntu in the first place. (Compare the first question on
<http://www.apple.com/getamac/faq/>.)

Canonical's Design team is planning a redesign of the Ubuntu Web site
sometime this year, and this is one case we'll consider. We look
forward to working with the Web Presence Team in that redesign process.

>                                                What about a wizard for
> installing the Internet (DSL, dial-up, etc.)?

That would also help, along with smarter behavior from Firefox when you
aren't connected to the Internet. (That is, it shouldn't say "Firefox
can't find the server at www.ubuntu.com"; it should say "This computer
is not connected to the Internet", with a button for setting up your
connection.)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas