Meeting item: FUSA, passwords vs. session saving

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 27 21:39:14 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 20:44 +0000, Chris Coulson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 20:13 +0000, Ted Gould wrote:
> > That's basically what it does, but it also sends out a signal that it's
> > going to shutdown to all the applications to allow them to inhibit the
> > shutdown for various reasons.
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html#id2735819
> >
> > This could be that a document isn't saved or just because you feel like
> > it.  I'm not sure if any apps have implemented all of the new API.
> > There's been some talk about putting it into GTK+, but I don't believe
> > that there is anything today.
> >
> > But, maybe that is the fix.  Maybe we should extend gnome-session to
> > have enough options that we just call it directly?  That way it doesn't
> > give us the big ugly dialogs, but it can handle the PK/CK stuff.
> >
> > There is currently only commands to bring up dialogs:
>
> When I started writing the patch for the FUSA, I expected that
> gnome-session exported an interface for restarting and shutting down
> directly (without calling the dialog), as it is already possible to do
> this for log out (calling org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout). I was
> surprised when I realised that it didn't actually support this, which is
> why I settled for sending a message to ConsoleKit directly and
> implementing PolicyKit support in the FUSA. I think that patching
> gnome-session to extend the Shutdown() method (or adding a new method)
> is probably a good way to go. This means that other applications (such
> as update-notifier's reboot dialog) could hook in to it as well, without
> having to worry about PolicyKit support. The patch probably wouldn't be
> too intrusive either.
>
> If I have a bit of spare time over the weekend, I'll work on a patch
> just to see how feasible it could be to implement.

I think that long term that's the fix.  But, I just had a talk with John
McCann and others on #gnome-hackers -- it seems that even with adding
the APIs that gnome-session doesn't do the session saving on
shutdown/restart anyway.  Hmph.

So, my current feeling is that gnome-session needs to be patched for
that before the API becomes useful.  And that patch (though very
important) we're probably too late in the release process for.

So, in a nutshell, I think the current CK/PK support in FUSA (done by
you) is just as good at saving sessions as gnome-session -- so I'm for
keeping it.

But, I think the long term strategy is to get gnome-session better so
that the right answer is asking gnome-session to handle it for us.

		--Ted