Desktop Team 20091202 meeting minutes

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at
Wed Dec 2 00:29:56 GMT 2009

Here are the minutes from the desktop team meeting. You can also find
them, the activity reports, and the irc log here:

== Present ==
=== Main Meeting ===
 * Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
 * Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Chris Cheney (ccheney)
 * Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
 * Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
 * Alberto Milone (tseliot)

=== Eastern Edition ===
 * Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)

== Apologies ==
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) - holiday
 * Luke Yelavich (TheMuso) - moving house

== Agenda ==
 * some manager announcements
  * Welcome tselliot
  * 1-1 calls
  * UNE and didrocks
  * receipts and robert_ancell's scanning app
 * Blueprints, work items, milestones, specs (pitti)
 * Ideas for speeding up desktop startup time (seb128)

== Actions from this meeting ==
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to track down robert's scanning tool
  * RESULT: It's in his PPA:
 * ACTION: seb128 to add initial work items to UNE session blueprint
  * RESULT: didrocks beat him to it:
 * ACTION: robert_ancell to do seed changes for new games
 * ACTION: rickspencer3 to confirm robert_ancell commitment to GDM/GDM
Greeter refactor
  * RESULT: Based on current OEM commitment, documenting the current API
is in scope for A2, rest of the work may be done post A2
 * ACTION: kenvandine to investigate improving startup time of Messaging
Menu and related tasks
 * ACTION: ricspencer3 to set up call with pitti, bryce, and tselliot to
get tselliot on board
 * ACTION: all to try robert_ancell's new scanning tool

== some manager announcements ==
 * Welcome back tselliot here on OEM team rotation
  * bryce will be his "buddy"
  * will work on xorg drivers and packaging gnome initially
 * weekly 1-1 calls: please set these up with me if they are not on your
 * UNE and didrocks: UNE will be moved to desktop team, and didrocks
will be the maintainer
 * receipts and robert_ancell's scanning app: expenses coming up, please
give robert's app a try and file bugs

== Blueprints, work items, milestones, specs (pitti) ==
pitti covered A2 targeted blueprints that had no work items, or
otherwise seems risky:
 * desktop-lucid-unr-session has no work items (fixed)
 * desktop-lucid-powermanagement-tweaks has no work items (Michael Frey
to draft his part)
 * regarding, bryce plans merging 1.7.1 from experimental this week
 * regarding, need to seed two new games
 * regarding, seems there is too much in alpha 2 from this blueprint, some work items have since been moved out of A2
 * regarding, robert_ancell is on OEM rotation for this release, so may not have time to complete these items
 * regarding, will be difficult to fit this in along with Social From the Start work, as kenvandine owns both pieces

rickspencer3 closed this part of the meeting by stressing that it is
better to pull work items in from A3 than to postpone them from A2, so
encourages team members to be reasonably conservative in their work item
targeting for A2.

== Ideas for speeding up desktop startup time (seb128) ==
seb128 led a session on improving load time for the desktop.
* budget for desktop load time is 4 seconds from GDM
* a current boot chart is available here:
* with nautilus and xsession.d both not loaded at boot time, time is
still 8 seconds, so need to get back 4 seconds
* pitti is working on caching application data for application menu,
should buy some time
* other ideas for saving time were discussed, some at length. Example:
removing the desktop background image saves .5 seconds. xsplash takes .8
* Current plan is to remove many applets, and to load with only one
panel, and to use metacity rather than compiz by default

== Activity reports ==
=== Alberto Milone (tseliot) ===
 * foundations-lucid-boot-experience spec:
  * Write a Plymouth plugin which can replace Usplash features - In
 * desktop-lucid-xorg-proprietary-drivers spec:
  * Start looking at the debian packages for nvidia for a first clean up
 * desktop-lucid-touchscreen-handling spec
  * Identify one or more target touchscreen hardware platforms to focus
on - DONE
 * becoming core-dev - In progress:
  * recommendation from the MOTU council: DONE
  * approval from the Technical board: TODO

=== Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) ===
 * Blueprints:
  * desktop-lucid-font-selection: pending approval
  * desktop-lucid-ibus-chinese: need more research
  * desktop-lucid-language-selector: need input from design team
 * research about XKB for the desktop-lucid-ibus-chinese spec
 * upload latest Firefox localisation XPIs into Rosetta for all
supported releases
 * filing bugs about buggy Firefox XPIs upstream

=== Bryce Harrington (bryce) ===
 * Off Thanksgiving Holiday - Nov 26, Nov 27

 * Completed drafting and work item identification on blueprints:
   * desktop-lucid-xorg-triaging-diagnosis
   * desktop-lucid-touchscreen-handling
   * desktop-lucid-xorg-driver-selection-for-nvidia-hardware
   * desktop-lucid-xorg-proprietary-drivers
 * Investigate resolution detection issues.
   * Seems with -intel KMS some quirks were not moved to the kernel,
     and so EDID fails in some cases.
   * Wrote up
 * Begun drafting a how-to fix crashes guide
 * planning for Lucid
 * Updated versions_current.html for Lucid merges, add Debian Testing

=== Chris Cheney (ccheney) ===

=== Ken VanDine (kenvandine) ===
 * Finished specs
 * Cleaned up gwibber package deps, no longer depend on
python-gnome2-desktop, just python-wnck
 * Did some work with the desktopcouch branch of gwibber
 * Triaged gwibber bugs and merge proposals (before duplicating work in
the spec)
 * DX and U1 planning/review

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===
Drafted blueprints:
 * desktop-lucid-default-apps, desktop-lucid-jockey-hotplug-support,
desktop-lucid-suspend-quirks-halsectomy, desktop-lucid-xorg-halsectomy:
 * desktop-lucid-likewise-open-migration, desktop-lucid-bug-management:
Ready for review by Rick

Assigned blueprints:
 * desktop-lucid-likewise-open-migration: blocked on upstream sending
the packages
 * desktop-lucid-jockey-hotplug-support (beta available): Should be
working, just a bug fix and documentation left 
 * desktop-lucid-suspend-quirks-halsectomy: Discussed migration with
upstream, git branch available
 * desktop-lucid-xorg-halsectomy: I committed the required udev helper
upstream; created/discussed udev rules with Julien Cristau, Debian
experimental/Lucid PPA available
 * desktop-lucid-powermanagement-tweaks: No progress this week, needs
drafting first

Non-blueprint work done:
 * Improved, documented and announced work item handling
 * fixed gdm to get along without hal
 * fixed remaining hal-isms in pm-utils (other than suspend quirks)
 * Bug fixing: apport, udev
 * Went through our pm-utils delta, committed most of it to Debian,
moved remaining things to the right place, forwarded stuff upstream; we
are back in sync now
 * Reviewed desktop team specs

Merges: None done this week, but I did most of them already

 * pidgin (intrepid SRU), pkg-create-dbgsym

=== Robert Ancell (robert_ancell) ===
 * Finish off specifications
 * Lucid packaging gcalctool, eog, gucharmap, brasero, evince,
gnome-games, rhythmbox, xscreensaver, metacity, gnome-utils,

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===
 * desktop-lucid-startup-speed: drafted, approved, started work
 * desktop-lucid-gnome-3: informational spec about GNOME changes for
lucid, drafted, approved
 * desktop-lucid-compiz-effects: drafted, approved, no work on it yet
 * desktop-lucid-gnome-geoclue: drafted, approved, deferred to next
cycle the stack is not ready
non blueprint work:
 * desktop merges and GNOME 2.29 updates: gnome-pkg-tools gconf
gtksourceview gedit tomboy poppler gftp gimp
 * telepathy-gabble karmic sru to fix some proxy server overuse
 * did lucid syncs and autosyncs after uds, lot of those and lot of
issues due to the new debian source format, took quite some time

 * sponsoring: tomboy gnome-session evolution-indicator(sru)
login speed:
 * set up my dellmini as a testing box and did a lot of bootcharting
 * started the cycle with a 25.3 seconds boot time, 15 seconds desktop
 * weekly boot time: 22.6 seconds, 12.9 seconds desktop login
 * desktop login time without compiz, nautilus nor xsession.d script: 8
 * lot of delay are due to gnome-session waiting for registrations
before starting other things
 * compiz and pulseaudio wrappers have been dropped (thanks TheMuso
Amaranth): 1 second win
 * compiz-fusion-plugins-extra doesn't need to be installed by default:
will win 0.5 second
 * chrisccoulson did work on gnome-session and gnome-settings-daemon,
nothing uploaded yet but some small wins already and ideas on other
possible changes
 * tried to drop gnome-session delayed starts, the boot chart looks
compact but there is almost no change to the login time, too many
concurrential runs that's clearly not optimal
=== Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter) ===
 * Uploaded new HPLIP to merge from Debian and to fix LP: #335662. An
FTBFS occured. Investigated it.
 * Investigated also a CUPS FTBFS finding out that in Poppler the API
and  ABI was changed in the middle of a stable series and without
bumping the soname. Got patch to fix the problem from Koji Otani
(upstream author of libpoppler-based "pdfto..." filters).
 * Answered and triaged printing-related bug reports.

More information about the ubuntu-desktop mailing list