Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 30 01:52:52 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:30:49PM -0300, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> Also, people from IT would have no problem recognizing "store"
> as a place to store things. We talk about storage, use use variables
> to store values. So it's pretty clear (at least to me).

I have to disagree with this claim.  Even if "people from IT" were the
target audience, which they aren't, as a native speaker of American English
with a few years of background in IT, this meaning of "store" was not at
*all* comprehensible to me.  I had heard this proposed name almost a month
ago, but until it was explained in this very thread it didn't occur to me
that this was the meaning of "store" in this context.  A store to me is,
unequivocally, a place where you buy things.

And I have many colleagues who speak Commonwealth English and have years of
exposure to funny English ways of writing.  So if I didn't notice this
nuance, by and large American users aren't going to, either.

I have to say this is a much, much worse localization problem *for English*
than "center" vs. "centre", because it has a significant negative impact on
comprehension.